Dr_Mohh's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 6

CHALLENGE: SHOW US YOURSELF IN A CULTURAL ATTIRE

21st May of every year is the World Day for Cultural Diversity for Dialogue and Development. Therefore, Tuesday 21st May 2019 is yet another day to celebrate and promote cultural diversity among us, and in the spirit of the celebration, I challenge you (local guides) to show us your photo wearing your cultural attire, write the significance of the attire and challenge 5 LGs to do the same by tagging them. The diversity day is an opportunity to help communities understand the value of cultural diversity and learn how to live together in a cordial and harmonious relationship.

I will start first and you follow the format.

Caption: My Hausa/Fulani attireCaption: My Hausa/Fulani attire

Name: Mohammad Adamu
Regalia: Hausa/Fulani attire, Nigeria
Nationality: Nigerian
Significance of Attire: It is the highest cultural dress a Hausa/Fulani man can use. The dress is called "babban riga" or "gare" which comprises of a trouser, an inner shirt and a big outer shirt. Different people have different styles to suit their fashion tastes. Irrespective of your style, the attire signifies responsibility, maturity, elegance and beauty.
Fun Fact: When you use this attire, you must complement it with a headgear to match. If you do not do that, then your dressing is labeled "incomplete."

I challenge you @EmekaUlor  @TheEagleEye  @AdrianLunsong  @Aruni  @GeorgesHR  @InaS 

Changlun, Kedah, Malaysia
85 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: CHALLENGE: SHOW US YOURSELF IN A CULTURAL ATTIRE

haha, great topic @Dr_Mohh .

I dont own traditional garments to be honest, but @Ivi_Ge does!

Please consider reading this post before sending me a Private Message - Private Messages and Google Moderators
Google Moderator

Hey @Dr_Mohh, such a great topic and really good challenge. 

Thanks for tagging me @GeorgesHR

Caption: A photo of Google Moderator Ivi_Ge with traditional Bulgarian costume. (Local Guides @Ivi_Ge)Caption: A photo of Google Moderator Ivi_Ge with traditional Bulgarian costume. (Local Guides @Ivi_Ge)

Name: Ivelina 
Region: Sofia, Bulgaria
Nationality: Bulgarian
Significance of Attire: Each region of Bulgaria has its own traditional costume with unique motifs. Nowadays we wear this traditional clothing on special days. Here I am with the typical for the Middle Rhodope region costume and I have worn it on my friend's wedding day. 
Fun Fact: No one wore clothes with fully symmetrical decorations, because Bulgarians believed that full symmetry was a diabolical creation.

I challenge @AngieYC and @Petra_M

By the way I am going to change the label to Local Stories because it fits better. 

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Connect Moderator

@Dr_Mohh 

Wow! Interesting topic and I guess this will attract lots of contributions. I haven't taken a photo with a traditional dress for a long time but I will share some nice photos we took during a Local Guides Meetup at Nike Art Gallery.

Caption: Photo showing Emeka in a full traditional regalia of a typical Southern Nigerian KingCaption: Photo showing Emeka in a full traditional regalia of a typical Southern Nigerian King

Caption: Photo collage showing Emeka in a traditional regalia during a meetup at Nike Art Gallery in LagosCaption: Photo collage showing Emeka in a traditional regalia during a meetup at Nike Art Gallery in Lagos

Name: Emeka
Regalia: Chieftancy robe/Adire cloth
Nationality: Nigerian
Significance of Attire: This robe is called "Agbada" in Yoruba language or "Baban Riga" in Hausa.The dress is made of adire- a tie & die craft cloth made by hand. The material can be used to make different tyoes of cloths. This attire is basically for a chief or King. It goes with beads, a crown and a staff. 
Fun Fact: We took this photos during a Local Guides meetup in Lagos. It reminded me of my grandfather who was the last traditional priest of my community.caption: Local Guides Emeka and Sanya dress in tradional Nigerian regalia during a meetup in Lagoscaption: Local Guides Emeka and Sanya dress in tradional Nigerian regalia during a meetup in Lagos

Hey @SanyaOdare  @KarenVChin @PriyankaU @TraciC @ErmesT @PaulPavlinovich @UchechukwuEnem @PennyChristie 

Thanks for the tag @Ivi_Ge!

This is a very cool challenge @Dr_Mohh, I love to see traditional costumes.

Photo of the animation team in the Nessebar Beach Hotel, Sunny Beach, Bulgaria, after the traditional dance show (Local Guide @Petra_M))Photo of the animation team in the Nessebar Beach Hotel, Sunny Beach, Bulgaria, after the traditional dance show (Local Guide @Petra_M))

Name: Petra
Region: Sofia, Bulgaria
Nationality: Hungarian
Significance of Attire: I'm originally from Hungary, but I have a photo of me and my colleagues after a dance show in traditional Bulgarian costumes. The show was about a traditional wedding, that's why we wore these clothes. Unfortunately, I don't know from which region are these. 

Fun Fact: I can say I liked more the traditional Bulgarian dances than the Hungarian during this show. 

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Google Moderator Thank you!

Connect Moderator

@GeorgesHR come on, you have to show us something. 🙂

@Ivi_Ge oh my Gosh, you look great and different. Lovely dress and jacket.

@Petra_M this so interesting. The flower band is cute. Nice dress!

Googler

I am loving this thread but unfortunately I do not have any attire to share. I'll instead enjoy the photos. 🙂

Note: Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!.
Level 6

Dear @GeorgesHR, it can be an old photo and it could be any traditional garment you tried. So, give it try, hahah. 

Thanks very much for the show of interest guys @Dr_Mohh@EmekaUlor . I actually never tried wearing the traditional garments we have 😞

Please consider reading this post before sending me a Private Message - Private Messages and Google Moderators
Level 6

Dear @TraciC it can be any traditional dress you tried wherever in the world. So, we are anticipating your contribution. Hahah

Cheers!