Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

[CANCELLED] Philly Local Guide Meet-up

Philly Local Guide Meet-up

Rittenhouse Square

Rittenhouse Square, Philadelphia, PA, USA

July 20, 2019 @ 12:00 (EDT)

In 1776 the founding fathers of this gathered at Independence Hall to combine 13 colonies into one united nation. 243 years later, I think its time to bring all of the amazing Local Guides who help to map not only the city of brotherly love but the greater Philadelphia region. Here you will be able to meet other local guides but talk about some tips and tricks while contributing to Google Map and plan future events. The goal is that this event will be a catalyst for many more meet-ups to take place in the future. Philadelphia alone is 144 square miles so we have a lot of real estates to have photo walks, food crawls, ect... Whether you are from Old City or University City, Fishtown or Doylestown, I I hope to see you there!

Rittenhouse Square, Philadelphia, PA, USA
3 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: Philly Local Guide Meet-up

Hi @Austin_ONeill,

Thanks for hosting this meet-up in Philadelphia!

Have fun and fingers crossed you meet many new Local Guides on 20th of July. I also hope this meeting will be the first one from your series of following great events.

Please share with us your experience afterwards. Here you can see some tips on How to write a great recap after your meet-up

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Level 8

Re: Philly Local Guide Meet-up

Best wishes with success!

In LG Connect I view posts which mention folks feeling perhaps "unsure" or "inadequate" when it comes to hosting a Meet-Up. What if there were regional "training sessions" which would have higher-level LGs teaching excited, "newer" LGs on how to Host and which matters should be addressed? There could even be break-out sessions which could address various LG concerns. 

As a result, I foresee active local LG groups meeting regularly for mutual support, trainings, education, friendship, camaraderie, community involvement, presentation trainings, and confidence-building sessions. When local guides feel more secure, I believe they are likely to become more active with reviews, desire to educate business owners and become more socially involved with like-minded LGs. With the training of LGs on how to present themselves in a professional manner, you will find easier acceptance by local business communities. And with that acceptance, Google Maps can gather an increased, supportive presence.

If such a thing was offered for free on one Saturday every month in larger cities and in a host hotel's conference area, would that be of interest to you? Just throwing the concept out there because I feel that there seems to be a need.

Google Local Guide Zealot, Animal Shelter President, and Physician who enjoys helping other humans (and animals).
Anonymous
Not applicable

Due to the excessive heat warning throughout the area, I...

Due to the excessive heat warning throughout the area, I have decided to error on the side of safety and cancel tomorrow's meet up. I will be rescheduling this in the coming weeks as well looking into alternative indoor locations we can met at in case of inclement weather. I was really looking forward to meeting to you all but heat stroke and exhaustion are nothing to mess around. Stay cool. Stay hydrated