cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

Birds of Bangladesh: Part 2 (শালিক)

Cover Shalik3_MUK_1723.jpg

[Common Myna or ভাত-শালিক] 

I am writing the second part of this series after one year of Birds of Bangladesh: part 1 . In the first part, I wrote about 3 birds. In the second and third parts, I will write about 2 birds. For other parts, I will decide later.

Bangladesh is a land of birds. Birds of around a thousand species are found here. Out of which Shalik (শালিক) or the Common Myna is a very common one. It is also known as ভাত-শালিক It is found both in the villages or in the cities. There is another kind of Shalik known as গো-শালিক or Pied Starling. In Bangla গো (go) means cow. This Pied starling likes to stay near the herd especially the cows. Maybe, for this reason, it gets this kind of name. There are around 104 kinds of Shalik in the world. Out of which 12 kinds are found in Bangladesh. Out of 12 these 2 species are most common and found in every district of the country.

Common Myna likes to stay near the human. They stay very close to the kitchen of the village houses. But Pied Starling likes to stay near the field. Both of them like to eat corn. Insects, fruits, etc. They also like to eat the insects from inside the ears and nose of the other big animals like cows and buffalos. They like to make their nest inside the hole of a tree. They also make a nest in the branches of trees.

They lay 3 to 6 eggs at a time. Both the male and female take the responsibility of the kids; feeding and raising. Kids learn flying in 20 to 30 days. After the kids learn flying, they go outside with the parents for food. The relationship of a Shalik couple lasts long.

[ Pied Starling or গো-শালিক]

I have taken all these photos with my Nikon D5600 camera and 18-140mm lens in my village Chapri. These are the first photos I am sharing here which I took with my camera and not by my smartphone. I want to dedicate this post to the #Monthlytopic of November initiated by @HiroyukiTakisawa though it does not fully match with this month's theme. 

Chapri, Tangail, Bangladesh
33 comments
Level 9

Re: Birds of Bangladesh: Part 2 (শালিক)

সম্পূর্ণ পোস্টটি পড়ে অনেক ভালো লাগলো।   যেখানে আমরা এদিকসেদিক দেখে বেড়ায় কি পোস্ট করব। সেখানে আপনার এই পোস্টটি বুঝিয়ে দেই ইচ্ছে থাকলে একটি পাখির নিয়েও ভালো পোস্ট করা যায়। @MukulR সুন্দর ভাবে তুলে ধরার জন্য ধন্যবাদ। 

Level 9

আমার পোষ্টের মান বিচার করার ক্ষ্মমতা আপনাদের হাতে। তবে আমি চেষ্টা করি সাধারন জিনিসগুলো তুলে ধরতে যেগুলো হয়ত অনেকের চোখ এড়িয়ে যেতে পারে। আমার সাধারন পোষ্টগুলো আপনাদের ভালো লাগাতেই আমি পরের পোষ্টের উতসাহ পাই। ফেসবুকে আপনার অনেক ফটো দেখেছি। আপনার ফটো কোয়ালিটি অনেক ভালো। পাখি বা শালিকের কোন ছবি থাকলে এখানে শেয়ার করতে পারেন। সুন্দর মন্তব্য করে উতসাহ দেওয়ার জন্য অনেক ধন্যবাদ ভাই, @Md_Azim_Uddin । ভালো এবং নিরাপদ থাকবেন। 

I like to invite my friends @OlgaKlimchik @Ant_Bad_Yogi @Sophia_Cambodia and @Nyainurjanah who may like this post. Regards. 

Level 9

nice post, a bit different topics though; good writing about Bangladeshi birds @MukulR 

thank you for sharing

Level 9

Thanks a lot for your inspiring comments @AbdullahAM vai. This post is part of a series post. I hope you will also like to read my next posts on Bangladesh birds. Stay safe. Regards. 

Connect Moderator

Hi, @MukulR 

Thank you for sharing cute birds. No prob, your post always fits the topic.
Taking a bird's photo is difficult, right? I'm looking forward to seeing your next nice photos:-)

Level 8

@MukulR thank you for sharing the facts about common myna. Your photos are nice. And you know what! The common myna is the logo of my current project. 🙂 Thanks again for sharing your experience with us.

Level 9

Thanks for accepting this post for November's #monthlytopic @HiroyukiTakisawa . I happy to think that I did not miss this month's train 😀 Wildlife photography is really tough. You need huge patience to take the photo of the wild animals. I have just started and a long way to go. I will let you know once I publish my next post. Regards. 

Level 10

Great post @MukulR brother. I don’t know much more about this bird. You shared more information about this birds. Thanks for sharing your knowledge with us. Hope you will continue this series. All the best!!!! 

Level 8

@MukulR একই করলেন বড় ভাই...!!!!???!!! ছোটবেলায় মুরুব্বীরা বলতো  এক শালিক দেখলে পরীক্ষায় ফেল করে... আপনিি আজকে এক শালিক দেখালেন 😔😔😔