Kakinda256's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Beautiful Uganda -Part 1 Koome Island

Koome Island is located in Mukono district, in northwestern Lake Victoria, in Uganda about 23 km from Entebbe airport. It is the largest island in the northeastern group and is surrounded by Ddamba island, Ngamba -Chimpanzee island, Kimi island, and others.

Koome Islanda coming from Entebbe side. The houses are all for hire with barKoome Islanda coming from Entebbe side. The houses are all for hire with bar

Left- Koome island    right -Ngamba islandLeft- Koome island right -Ngamba island

On the public boats, you will get a lift on and  off the boatOn the public boats, you will get a lift on and off the boat

If you are looking for a perfect escape from the daily troubles, looking for a place for group camping or working on a project and looking for a quiet place to meditate; this is perfect for you. With beautiful scenes and beaches (sand and Stone beaches on all sides), some bit of wildlife that is not very life-threatening, and beautiful people. 

The island depends on solar or generators for power and some places have power signals making it easier if you are seeking to escape technology!

With Ngamba-Chimpanzee island a few meters away, this is the perfect place to spend your short holiday with friends and Family

Beautiful smiles! Life here in the simplest formBeautiful smiles! Life here in the simplest form

Things to Consider if you intend to visit.

• Consider coming in a group of at least 3. this will improve the experience.
  • There are 3 routes to get to the Island, 1. from Entebbe side (Kasenyi, Garuga, Waterfront beach, etc); 2 from Ggaba side and 3. from Mukono side (Katosi, Mutima beach, and others) But I suggest Entebbe side since it is the shortest 
  • 2 ways of transport; 1. Private boat (If you have one) or hire from Waterfront beach and other places this is more comfortable and quicker though fairly expensive. 2. Use public boats from the Kasenyi landing site. these are usually loaded with people 20+, and light cargo like Ice, sodas and essential goods. They are cheap but will take at least 2 hours to get you there. They also operate at set times usually 10:30 am and others at 3:00 pm

On the Public transport, you will have a lift on and off the boat!On the Public transport, you will have a lift on and off the boat!

• Get all you may need including food to cook if you are to do it by yourself, enough drinks, Solar phone chargers(if you have one) or power banks, creams, and lights if you are sleeping overnight. You may carry a mosquito repellant but there are fewer mosquitoes here.
  • Plan a campfire by the lake. A campfire by the lake will bring you a lot of memories and therefore I advise you to plan for an overnight stay.
  • Book for where to stay. Although the place doesn't have a lot of lodging places, There are 2 places that I can recommend you to stay in. 1. If you want an ordinary experience and island setting environment. (This is where I stay every year). 2. If you want extra comfort and exotic experience. (This may require early bookings since it is managed by a hotel in Entebbe. For this, you can contact me and I will lead you to the right people.

View from the exotic house by the lake shoreView from the exotic house by the lake shore

• Plan for a hike ad a visit to the local community. this will give you an experience of life, and the beauty of the place.

A walk on the stone beach. You can get here after a 20-40 minutes hike.A walk on the stone beach. You can get here after a 20-40 minutes hike.

Some memories from 2018Some memories from 2018

• Be free and open so that you may get the best out of your visit. 
  • Forget your Normal routine for this will spoil the fun and purpose of the visit. Relax and take a rest, the world will not end because you took a break.

You will receive special attention fro the community, so use it wellYou will receive special attention fro the community, so use it wellTag of war challenge. some games to have with the childrenTag of war challenge. some games to have with the children

• Ask for the safe zones to swim, avoid the stone beaches if you want to swim. Ask your physician for guidance on the precautions to take before you swim. Remember, its freshwater!

Its all fresh water and you can swim. Swimming will help you relax.Its all fresh water and you can swim. Swimming will help you relax.

You can take home any shape for your memory. I like the heart shape most.You can take home any shape for your memory. I like the heart shape most.

I visit this place with friends every end of the year, it holds our best camp memories.

If you need to help plan your visit here, reach me and I will give you some tips.

Koome, Uganda
5 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: Beautiful Uganda -Part 1 Koome Island

This looks amazing @Kakinda256, the perfect opportunity to take a break from the the busy week and just relax. I would love to visit Uganda some day!

You mentioned a bit about Chimpanzee Island too. Is that a good place to visit while also visiting this island? 

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 7

We shall be glad to have you here. Ngamba Chimpanzee island is a perfect place to visit. I will be posting about it in my next part. The beauty about it is that it is a tourist place and therefore has a booking office and proper housing if you want to stay.

Former Google Contributor

That's exactly what I was thinking @Kakinda256, so it's great that there are opportunities to spend the night there. 

I will be looking forward to your post about the island and I'm excited to see if it lives up to its name. 

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 2

Hello Kakinda, this is a lovely one. How do I get in touch with you? I would love to visit Koome.

Level 2

Hello Kakinda, this is a lovely one. How do I get in touch with you? I would love to visit Koome.

Shasty