Nachiket_methre's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Basavakalyan : the land of the SHARANA'S

grand entry gate into the city.grand entry gate into the city.

BASAVAKALYAN the land of KALYANI CHALUKYA’S,  which can also be called precisely as KALYAN is the land of SHARANA’S . It is the land where LORD BASAWESHWARA dwelled. We are blessed enough to witness the rich culture and heritage.

The history of this city dates back to 1050 AC. Back than it was the capital of CHALUKYA’S.  KALACHURI dynasty was the successor of the CHALUKYA’S, and rightfully during the regime of Bijjala deva lord Basaweshwara moved here from Bagewadi.

BASAVANNA'S ARIVINE MANEBASAVANNA'S ARIVINE MANE

During 12th century Basaweshwara moved here and initially served as a Prime Minister to the King. Basaveshwara led a social movement to stop untouchability and gender discrimination, following that Shivasharana revolution took place. After that Basavakalyan has been the center of social and religious movement.

From than it has formed a cult for itself.

HARALAYYA'S CAVEHARALAYYA'S CAVE

To commemorate the accomplishments of these religious scholars and masterminds the heritage has been kept intact. You can easily observe it from the beginning as you enter the gate.

SCULPTURE DEPICTING THE LIFE IN 12TH CENTURYSCULPTURE DEPICTING THE LIFE IN 12TH CENTURY

This weekend I have dedicated my Sunday towards exploring the rich history that led to the religious cult. I hope you enjoy too through  visuals I have taken.

There is a mammoth gate that is standing strong to welcome you which leads you to different cave structures where different Sharanas used to meditate including Basaveshwara, Allamaprabhudeva, Akka mahadevi , haralayya and many more.

PXL_20230122_100815102.jpgThey have well maintainesd landscaping in and around every caveThey have well maintainesd landscaping in and around every cave

The sights contained a board providing the history of the place to the visitors. We can observe the intricate details of the chalukya and kalchuri architecture imbibed masterfully. We have to appreciate the committee who is the IN charge of maintaining them.

12th century well12th century wellintricate detailing of the architecture on the pillarintricate detailing of the architecture on the pillar

It is interesting to observe that the world’s first parliament was started here with ALLAMAPRABHU being the first ever president of the first ever parliament session. To carry forward the heritage a new project has been proposed to build a new building for the parliament, and the project going on.

In  recent  times this city is also being recognized as TRUCK CAPITAL of Karnataka, because of the number of workshops around producing  large number of trucks .

sign boards depicting the sight informationsign boards depicting the sight information

old style temple entrance gateold style temple entrance gatePXL_20230122_104107444.jpg

I wish one day you guys visit this amazing place and I would be glad enough to lead you guys as a local guide and a friend here.

Nachiket Methre
Basavakalyan, Karnataka, India
8 comments
Level 7

Re: Basavakalyan : the land of the SHARANA'S

Beautiful photos @Nachiket_methre  The pillars and shadows. The lush landscaping. The detailed carving. Thank you for sharing them with us! 

Level 10

नमस्कार,

@Nachiket_methre 

अच्छी पोस्ट।

शेअर करने के लिए धन्यवाद।

Level 10

Hello dear Nachiket...

@Nachiket_methre 

Congratulations...

A very well conceived and presented post - admire your efforts.

The photos are contextual & captured very well.

The Mega Gate shot is thrilling to view...

Your story/history is interesting - thanks for sharing.

Kindly remember to tag me in your future posts, please.

Warm regards 

Oh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform me

Level 8

Thanks for the appreciation sir. 

Fan of your posts.

Will tag you here after. Glad you liked it.

Nachiket Methre
Level 8

Nice information @Nachiket_methre 

The entry gate looks similar to the Hawa Mahal in Jaipur, India

IMG_20221229_135926.jpg

Level 7

Level 8

Dear sir,

I have attached my previous post about the history of Hawa Mahal. Kindly refer @Mikeinthefalls 

https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/General-Discussion/Hawa-Mahal-A-Symbol-of-Jaipur/td-p/3556063 

Level 8

It looks Stunning!

Nachiket Methre