Phunky's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

Barcelona's Ugliest Attractions

Barcelona city has notorious over-tourism. Well I created a various great bucket list of these attractions

It got me thinking... Why not a list of my city's ugliest attractions.

I love Local guides as tourism is a lot more sustainable. I have not been a Lonely Planet's 'secret places' to visit follower, but really you are like the other 2 million of people before them! 😛

So here's my 11 favourite ugly landmarks of Barcelona. Unlikely to be found in any guide. View the whole list you can view yourself. Why not follow it at the same time and make me happy :D.

Below are just three of my favourites!

Number one: The Obese 'Raval' Cat - El Gato De Botero

I have a soft spot for this massive obese cat. Officially it is called 'el gato de Botero'. Botero' is the artist. I saw the cat the first year I moved here.

The poor cat has been moved around the city a lot and was once on the main Rambla.

However you have to admit the piece is really ugly and funny at the same time. Sadly he's mainly found by accident as the plaza he is in, you're probably more concentrated on the restaurateur's fighting for your attention and business. The cat's whiskers are fondled shiny by the seasoned traveller who's found the architecture in the heart of Barcelona's red light district - El Raval.

Did the cat swallow a plastic toilet tube whole, is he wearing shoes, does his whiskers pick up wifi? I can't answer you. Go see it for yourself.

30432961845_a588b016b2_o

Number two: Els Mistos A park with massive pop art of a used box of throw away disposable matches. The art piece is in parts of other matches thrown to the floor. It's kitsch and its located in a part of town that is not over-run by tourists. There's great honest bars and restaurants to discover the best of the city at a fraction of the cost without any hidden charges. 

Strike a light... you've found the real Barcelona!

Mistos-1-760x428

Number three: Barcelona Sants Station.
No idea why an architect would make a train station look so sad. All I can say is its a modern soviet inspired artpiece. But if that isn't enough its got a  massive grey plaza infront of it with nothing in it.

Nowadays there's random trees and benches you'd expect out of a movie like The Lobster.This entertainment is 1/6 of one plaza. Behind the station, you have a massive taxi rank designed so you cannot easily navigate to the station. Don't confuse the station with Barcelo Sants hotel.

This mis-use of public 'space' with ironic use of trees and benches I am trying to promote as the anti-selfie place of Barcelona. This place needs love, it really does!

0fc60f7933d89b8266e218dcf19e1a

Barcelona, Spain
8 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: Barcelona's Ugliest Attractions

Hi @Phunky. Thank you for sharing. This is actually very useful (and funny of course). I think my favorite stop on your list is Torre Urquinaona. It kind of looks like it was built between two architectural trends and doesn't really belong in any of them. 

Do you have such similar lists for other cities? This could actually be a really interesting challenge. I'm sure everyone can think of several ugly/funny landmarks from their home city. Right? @MashaPS if you share, I will also. 😄

Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Level 9

@IrrPavlova Thanks for reading my list. I had a lot of fun making it. I am quite a big fan of traveling, not mass travelling as I believe in tourism and city sustainability.

When I've travelled off the beaten track in a new city, new country to see something curious, I've normally had a better adventure trying to find something that's less ostentatious. To be honest, secretly my idea is to encourage people a little bit more to be adventurous with their travel. People are inspired more by humour so adventure rewarded by humour equals fun.

will be posting another few lists which are curious and a little tongue in cheek. Those are for Barcelona. If you check my profile you'll see what's coming next 😉 (hint stranger things)

Possibly I could do a few more lists of a few towns and cities in the UK.

I think it'll make a great challenge. 

That tower you like best from the list :o. It's the only one in the list which I cannot easily find words to describe it. It's that, eerrmmmm, interesting 😜

Level 8

@Phunky  I love your writing style. This post really appeals to me. I love pop art and the weirder and uglier, the better! I laughed so hard at your questions about the obese cat- do it's whiskers pick up Wi-Fi! Lol. I'm looking forward to reading more of your posts.

Level 8

Oh yes @IrrPavlova . This would be an awesome challenge. Funny but also interesting to discover what people think is ugly and why.

Level 9

@JustineE thanks for the feedback. It was a lot of fun writing it. If you check out my list in maps you can find out a little bit more about the cat. 

Level 9

lot@JustineE It's true what you say, one man's mead is another man's poison when it comes to art. Most on the list I do like, but I'd rather sell it as interestingly ugly. I'd love to see some of your city's art 🙂

HeRe we have a Lichtenstein on a roundabout in BCN you'll deffo love if you come here. That's tasteful mind ;).

Level 10

@Phunky 

This is such a funny great list. 😆😅

Three obese car reminds me of the Charging Bull and Fearless Girl statues in NY which are also supposed to be tourist attractions.

The matches statue reminds me of Melbourne's own equivalent  dubbed fondly  Yellow Peril. It's real name is The Vault. 

The third item on your list reminded my husband of our very own Melbourne Gas And Fuel building 😆 which was demolished some years ago. 

So it seems that Barcelona doesn't have a monopoly on dubious but popular icons on its tourist attractions. 

Level 10

@Phunky 

This is such a funny great list. 😆😅

Three obese car reminds me of the Charging Bull and Fearless Girl statues in NY which are also supposed to be tourist attractions.

The matches statue reminds me of Melbourne's own equivalent  dubbed fondly  the Yellow Peril. It's real name is The Vault. 

The third item on your list reminded my husband of our very own Melbourne Gas And Fuel building 😆 which was demolished some years ago. 

So it seems that Barcelona doesn't have a monopoly on dubious but popular icons on its tourist attractions.