MariaNgo's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

August, September, October in Melbourne

August to October in 2021 in Melbourne was pretty quiet. This was because Victoria had its 5th and 6th lockdown with barely a week in between the two lockdowns. The 5th lockdown started on Friday 15 July and lasted until 27 July. The 6th lockdown started 5 August and ended midnight 21 October. Melbourne had experienced a total of 262 days of lockdowns since the first one was announced in March 2020. 

We were allowed out for limited essential exercises of 2 hours in duration and 9pm curfews were in force. We could also only travel within a 5 km radius from home – this was later extended to 25km towards the end of the period before being lifted completely.

People who could work from home did so. Business like supermarkets, food retail, restaurants (only takeaways) and pharmacies were allowed to continue to operate. Others involved in distribution as well as some manufacturing were allowed – these operated under limited capacity and with strict rules about square metre space per employee. Elective surgeries were also cut back. Other retail businesses were shut. You could order items online from places like hardware stores and department stores for pickup or delivery.

This period also happens to coincide with the Victorian school 3rd term (from mid July to mid September). For those people without kids in school, this would normally be part of our ski season which starts on the last long weekend in June until 4 October. July and August are the coldest months and the best time to go skiing. This year, our ski resorts were not open.

While people were kept indoors and away from one another during this period, nature was not hindered. So, I only have photos of nature during this period.

AUGUST

Towards the end of August, cherry blossoms and stone fruit start developing flowers. I love seeing the cherry blossom trees especially come alive to announce the coming of spring. Several species of orchids continue to bloom while irisis also join in to add to the floral cheer. Dandelions develop their puffy balls that invite you to blow on them. Crisp clear blue skies add to the lift in our spirits while onion weeds and snow drops start putting on quite a show with their bell shaped flowers.

Blooming cherry blossom tree next to car, onion weed, irises - photos by LG Maria NgoBlooming cherry blossom tree next to car, onion weed, irises - photos by LG Maria Ngo

SEPTEMBER

In September, I have enough irises and arum lilies that have blossomed to pick them for my dining table. The tiny Australian native orchids, the dendrobiums, are at their best at this time. Scented white jasmine, purple ajugas, lilac dropping wisteria, fragrant freesias that pop through cracks in brick walls and driveways as well as garden beds and lawns. These and the various types of white and yellow daisies sing their glorious praise.

Long shadows of leafless trees, cheerful blossoms, arum lilies, blossoms, daisies, ajugas, everlastings - photos by LG Maria NgoLong shadows of leafless trees, cheerful blossoms, arum lilies, blossoms, daisies, ajugas, everlastings - photos by LG Maria Ngo

Kookaburras also add their distinct voices to my creek trail walk. It appears that they mate for life and are very territorial. They have been observed to respect territorial boundaries and not cross into a neighbour’s patch to retrieve food that had been tossed to it. This day, I saw one of them dive into a hollow in a nearby tree - I surmised that they must have a hatchling. 

You can read more about them on the Nature Conservancy Australia as well as the Australian Museum websites.

The warmer weather invite me out to do more cycling. I take the opportunity to do so with a friend. I love the long distinct shadows cast by leafless trees at this time of year when you get a clear blue sky day with just a faint nip of the last fingers of winter in the air.

Jasmine, wisteria, dendrobium orchid, spring in the park, blue irises, kookaburra, sunset - photos by LG Maria NgoJasmine, wisteria, dendrobium orchid, spring in the park, blue irises, kookaburra, sunset - photos by LG Maria Ngo

OCTOBER

By the end of October, rose buds turn to fully formed flowers. As this is the first round of rose blossoms, everything is just perfect – there are no dead or dying flowers or leaves to prune or pick off. It is simply glorious. The perfume of roses in their masses is simply one of my favourite scents. They elevate the spirit and fill one’s senses with such heady delights.

The protea in my backyard are at their grandest at this time. This year I have the most magnificent show on my bush – it could have been the extra rain we had been getting this year. Even the creeks are nosier than usual as they tumble over the rocks. Cherry blossoms continue to develop in October and stone fruit add more colour to the landscape.

Ramping fumitory, picnic at the park, apple blossom, everlasting, quince, daisies, pardalote (small bird), noisy creek, roses - photos by LG Maria NgoRamping fumitory, picnic at the park, apple blossom, everlasting, quince, daisies, pardalote (small bird), noisy creek, roses - photos by LG Maria Ngo

Seasonal ‘weeds’ like the White Ramping Fumitory with their deep maroon tipped narrow white petals and our native yellow Everlastings start popping up along my regular walking trails. The white oxeye daisy with their yellow centres and later blooming wattle can be seen in the neighbourhood parks and nature strips. Quinces can also be seen ripening in gardens.

In one wetland precinct I saw a grey headed heron wading in the shallows. Another tiny bird I spotted was the pardalote – I had only seen pictures of them until now. It was at Westerfolds Park where I saw it. On previous visits I even saw kangaroos bounding and also lazing in the cool grasses and under the trees. There are many kilometres of walking tracks you can choose from in this huge parkland which has retained much of its natural vegetaion. As restrictions eased further towards the end of October I was able to organise picnics there as well as at Wattle Park.

October is a lovely time to get married as well – with limited number of guests being allowed still this year (5 I think), most of us watched it online. This would be the third wedding I had attended online since one virus turned the world upside down in 2019. I made it into the city as well and with clean clear air free of pollution, the sky was the most incredible blue. What a magnificent backdrop it made for my cityscapes.

Grey headed heron, wattle, park, blossoms, Melbourne city, protea - photos by LG Maria NgoGrey headed heron, wattle, park, blossoms, Melbourne city, protea - photos by LG Maria Ngo

While these three months appeared rather quiet this year in Melbourne, nature is never completely still. There’s always something to discover and enjoy if you know where to look.

7 comments
Level 9

Re: August, September, October in Melbourne

Thanks a lot for sharing this beautiful post with a lot of flowers, birds, and some other activities in Melbourne in August, September, and October. You made it a compact and full package for Melbourne @MariaNgo . Just superb. From your post, I saw some flowers matching, in color or shape😊, in my collection and I am sharing some photos of them. I hope you will like it. 

Level 10

@MukulR  Those two first flowers in white and pink look like cosmos. We also find them in some gardens. And a few of the latter ones look like dahlias. They are popular in some gardens. I love the comsos with their daintiness. I don't plant them though in my garden. They need more water and when I go away my garden tends to sizzle. So I like to plant things that are more hardy and drought tolerant. I'm still learning. I haven't perfected it yet and still end up losing flowers. Recently my beautiful pot of fushias that was in full bloom lost their flowers when we had a hot spell when I was away for a week. But luckily they didn't die back completely and when I watered them well when I came home, a week later I saw little green leaves growing from the stems. So I'm so glad. 

Level 9

This is the only flower that I have on my balcony @MariaNgo It can survive without water for several days. When I go out for some days, I water it very well on the last day of my departure, keeping it at the edge of the balcony so it can get some rainwater if there is really rain at all. when I come back I find it dull/fade but dead. And after getting the water it gets fresh again.  Thanks a lot for your comments. 

Connect Moderator

Level 10

@Sophia_Cambodia Thank you. I'm glad you enjoyed that. 

Level 8

+_+ Beautiful flowers 🌷 @MariaNgo  I really like this post you include all the pictures of flowers grows in August, September and October .

Thanks for sharing this post with us

Level 10

Hello @Mukul_Anand  I'm glad you like the post and especially the flowers. 

You can see more on my post of previous months in Melbourne starting with April. Check out my profile for the other posts.