Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Anyone from South Korea here?

14 comments
Level 2

Re: Anyone from South Korea here?

I am currently studying in South Korea and travelling around trying to leave reviews where I can to try and up the google maps coverage over here. How are you finding it while over here given the obvious problems that google maps has in South Korea. 

Level 2

저는 대한민국 강원도

속초시에 거주하고 있어요~**

@petocsaba wrote:

Interesting (if, fom LG point of view, not "sad") news:  http://www.itechpost.com/articles/56086/20161119/south-korea-rejected-googles-offer-expand-digital-m...

Level 2

I think Naver map and Daum map are very influential in S.Korea. The Two companies seem to have put pressure on the government or large corporations like LG.

Both maps will expand the map globally like google map and will influence global media.

Level 4

hi, I'm going to fly a drone for aerial survey in Korea, there are bans in large cities?

Level 3

Hello, CsabaP!  l live in korea. Well.. I just read you rinked news about "korea government rejects google maps.".    yeah I can't still use google maps, but recently we can play Pocketmon Go!! I don't know how can do that, you know, it uses google maps. 

Anyway, If you have plan to travel South korea, you must use another map application, like "kakao map" or "naver map". 

I hope that you would read my reply! Have a nice day.

Level 9

Well you need to be super careful because there are still few areas with military sensitive security guidelines.

Level 6

In South Korea, we have to use both Naver map and Kakao(aka daum) map. Naver doesn't improve their app. Slow, incorrect, very laggy. On the other hand, Kakao is better.  It is pretty fast and has good performance. But, I hope Koreans can fully use a Google map on South Korea!

Level 9

@Csaba it's not just sad from LG point view but for everyone else. What a pity.

Level 10

@Csaba@JohnnyE I don't see there is anything sad about it.. It is South Korea's country.. their citizens voted in their leaders and the leaders made the decision. There has to be courtesy to respect that decision, whether you believe it is right or wrong. If you want a change? i.e. convince the citizens to petition the government themselves.. Much like we have a lot of users in India that wants Google issued ID cards.. or Iran users to be able to get perks or Mapping in China.. Basically there are limitations on what Google can and should do. What the users in those countries want can only be fixed by political decisions made by the governments there, the best permanent solution is to make the government to understand the needs and change the rules in that regard. Google is not above the laws of any country and extension the will of the citizenry.

@_Johnny_ wrote:

@Csaba it's not just sad from LG point view but for everyone else. What a pity.