Tadesse's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Any tips for taking photos of places, businesses, products, ... without drawing attention?

Hello All,

When I am taking photos of places, businesses and products, I see people looking at me and wandering why I am doing that. I always try hard not to be noted by others while taking photos of foods, products and places. Any tips? 

Review to aware, dare to be fair, care to share
College Station, TX, United States
14 comments
Level 10

Re: Any tips for taking photos of places, businesses, products, ... without drawing attention?

Hi @Tadesse! I've written a post because I had the same problem, and I've received very good answers!

@Atiq19 and @FaridTDF advised me, for example in the case of a restaurant, to greet people who work there and explain what I am doing, so I don't look suspicious. I haven't tried it yet anyway because I'm kinda shy, haha.

Another solution I found is try to act like a tourist! For now it's the best attitude I can have to it.

Good luck and keep contributing! 🙂

Argentina | Follow me on Maps! | IG
Level 10

Re: Any tips for taking photos of places, businesses, products, ... without drawing attention?

Hi  @Tadesse  I will share some tips I have. The truth is, as long as you are taking photos in a public setting it is not easy not to be noticed by others.  For taking photos in public you just have to be very mindful. Not everyone likes been faced with a camera. Some places in our community like public beach, waterfalls you can Photograph freely no one questions you about why are you photographing. I will advise you sometimes to go closer to what you want to photograph, seek for permission to Photograph what you want to Photograph too, it helps a lot by saving some embarrassments and scrutiny sometimes. When in a restaurant if you want to Photograph their show glass in which menus are displayed, please seek permission before you do. I do that very well, the only thing I don't seek permission for is when I have ordered my food and I have my food on my table, of course I can Photograph my food in whatever style I want as long as I ordered the food from the restaurant and am eating it there, then I upload to Google maps. Sometimes I am always bold enough to meet the business owners/managers and tell them I want to take a photo of their business place, telling them where I want to upload the pictures to and how it would help incoming visitors have an overview of the place. Sometimes I tell them this, if some are skeptical I just bring out my phone and show them am Local guide in this community making voluntary contributions to help improve business places on the Google Maps. After showing or telling them this, some are very excited and would give you a Green light to Photograph what you want to Photograph. Sometimes this way is the best way, but it might be difficult depending from where you are from. But I believe some of this tips can give you some oversight and overview of how to always go about it.

Kind Regards

Level 9

@Tadesse I use a Gopro, but any any action camera will take decent and potentially very discreet pictures. Of course you could just wear your local guide T-shirt...

Former Google Contributor

It took a while but I have learnt to look past anyone's stares. With Instagram stories, Snapchat, etc., it seems like everyone's taking snapshots of the places they are at and so it feels especially natural that anywhere I turn, I'd see someone holding out their phone for a photo. 

On the inside of stores, I always look around for signs to see if photos are disallowed. If the sign is up, I'd gladly oblige and not be sneaky about it. 🙂

P.S I love your signature, "Review to aware, dare to be fair, care to share" — it's awesome! 

New to Connect? Check out Help Desk! Always keep in mind the Local Guides program rules when posting.

Level 8

@ValeriaA_ thank you so much!

Level 8

@HelloSamsonR, your tips is very helpful. Thank so much! I will use your approach starting today. 

Level 8

@dbateser, Thanks, I do not have the T-shirt though, is there a way I can gate one? I remember I saw in the general discussion that they are not provided any more. I think a T-shirt or a cap would be a great idea. 

Level 9

@Tadesse I am very sorry. There are no t-shirts just a poor attempt at humor (kind of a running joke).

Level 10

@Tadesse wrote:

@HelloSamsonR, your tips is very helpful. Thank so much! I will use your approach starting today. 

You are welcome bro @Tadesse :).