ReemaGandhi's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Amazon Fresh: In-store experience (Part-1)

Just a few days ago during my everyday browsing, an advertisement popped up on my phone— that an Amazon Fresh store has inaugurated in my neighborhood. 

Newly inaugurated Amazon Fresh Store as pictured on a rainy day.Newly inaugurated Amazon Fresh Store as pictured on a rainy day.

I visited the store on a rainy day for an extraordinarily high-tech experience of being assisted by a Cart and an AI device.

Entrance- Car parked, umbrellas opened, and a brisk walk to the newly decorated and designed Amazon store. Next, the umbrellas closed as we brushed off the access water off our jackets.

Two gentlewomen approached & offered us a free sample of sparkling water along with complimentary goodies. Have a look:

Complimentary fridge magnets given to us at the Amazon Fresh Store.Complimentary fridge magnets given to us at the Amazon Fresh Store.

Once we settled, we noticed a long queue for the Dash Cart. It appeared like everyone wanted a wholesome experience of the Amazon Fresh store. But we moved on without the Dash Cart.

Amazon Fresh Store decorated with colorful balloons.Amazon Fresh Store decorated with colorful balloons.

A huge welcoming sign inside the store.A huge welcoming sign inside the store.

Dash Cart- For those who are unaware of the Dash Cart like I once was, It's basically a smart cart with a screen to access your Amazon account and check out items without having to line up at the checkout counter. You'll receive exclusive benefits like two-hour delivery & one-hour pick up if you're a Prime Member.

Exclusive benefits for Prime Members at Amazon Fresh Store.Exclusive benefits for Prime Members at Amazon Fresh Store.

You're now going to read two in-store scenarios when you use a dash cart vs when you don't. 

Scenario 1: Using a Dash Cart

• Get the exclusive Dash Cart if available. (Even if you have to wait in line)
  • As you shop around the store, fill up your cart, all the items will automatically be tallied up.
  • Not just that, if you love making a grocery list you can access that list using your Dash cart.
  • Fill up your grocery bags, and voila! You are good to go. (Congratulations! You just well saved yourself a considerable amount of time.)

That being said, you get to see the Alexa screens installed at every nook and corner of the store, assisting every time you have trouble finding an item. It is funny how one can simply approach Alexa station and ask her- ”where a particular item is” in the entire store! 

Alexa Station at the amazon fresh store.Alexa Station at the amazon fresh store.

Using regular cart at Amazon Fresh Store.Using regular cart at Amazon Fresh Store.

Scenario 2: Using a regular cart- Now imagine yourself in another scenario using a regular cart like I did (just to avoid the long queue).

• Going to the check-out counter, trailing through aisle after aisle.
  • Having to wait in a long queue for the turn.
  • Finally, at the checkout counter, staring at your phone while the assistant registers every single item from your cart.
What's funny though is that the first time I visited the store, I did go through all of it because I couldn't get the Dash cart. But next time, I’m definitely getting the dash cart, the experience to which would be added to part two of my experience at the Amazon Fresh Store.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1c3.jpg

More noticeable things inside the store-

• Upon entrance, my kiddo was given a set of crayons & an activity booklet for the uninterrupted shopping experience.

Complimentary Activity kit given to the kidsComplimentary Activity kit given to the kids

• If you accidentally forget your mask, just ask the associates before you enter the store, you'll be given a complimentary mask.
  • An entire range of Amazon gadgets (Alexa, Kindle, Echo/Echo-dot) is displayed at the store.

Amazon devices as displayed at the store.Amazon devices as displayed at the store.

• Social distancing followed all around the store with these signs. 

Social distancing signs all around the store.Social distancing signs all around the store.

• Fresh kitchen is highly recommended both in terms of great price and flavors. 
  • Some items in the store are relatively cheaper mostly fresh produce. Also, we were given some coupons for next in-store-visit.
The AI/Tech adventure at Amazon Fresh store does take the grocery shopping experience up a notch. You can read my review for the same here!

PS- if ever you’re gonna visit the Fresh store, don't be lazy like me & get the amazing Dash Cart. 

Have you ever been to an Amazon store? What was your experience like?
Naperville, IL, USA
16 comments
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Amazon Fresh: In-store experience (Part-1)

That's sn extremely engaging account of your experience at a high tech store @ReemaGandhi 

Thanks for sharing that.

But then how does the merchandise compare with the one procured through an online order? Is there some subtle difference?

Level 10

@ReemaGandhi Thanks for sharing your experience, how does this compare to Whole foods? Do you have Whole Foods also in your area?

Level 9

@ReemaGandhi

Very nicely written and informatively describes the whole experience. 

Greetings from Barishal, Bangladesh.
Level 8

Hi @C_T 

Well, yes! There’s a slight difference in prices when you order online from Amazon Fresh as opposed to the in-store purchase. 

Some items are charged per piece (fresh produce) when you order online however, that’s not the case when you shop in-store. 
What do you prefer when it comes to grocery shopping ?

thank you so much for your interest! 

Level 8

Hi @jayasimha78 

Oh yes! We do have Whole-foods in our neighborhood & the major difference between the two, as I’ve observed, is the Bulk department, minus the Alexa Station & Dash Cart.

Whole foods has a vast range of organic/non organic dried berries/nuts, grains, granola, flour, beans. I love going to Whole foods for that reason.

Do you prefer going to Whole foods ?

Level 8

Hi @KamalHossenR 

Thank you so much! 

Level 5

It's amazing!!! 😎👍❤️🌟

Level 10
Level 10

Thanks for the detailed reply @ReemaGandhi 

I had heard a statement about Anazon Fresh as "excellent quality at slight premium" and hence wanted to check your experience.

Well, while in the US, we prefer to do most of the purchases in HEB (a marketing chain in Texas). And then, for some specific items like thin stingy chillies, in an Indian grocery store named "Apna Bazar" remains the sole source.

Level 10

@ReemaGandhi Looks like we don't have Amazon Fresh stores in Northern California, only whole foods as of now. I looked up, looks like there are two stores in Southern CA, 2nd one opened in October 2020.