JustJake's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Am I Some Sort Of Spy?!? Who Is This Strange Dude?

This week, I was traveling for work and got to visit a new government building complex in northern Arizona. Always searching for mapping opportunities, I drove around photographing the directories, signage, and new buildings. 

When I finished, I sat in my car deciding what to upload, and I saw a man in my rear-view mirror taking pictures of my license plate. He looked serious but also like a character from an old movie about the gold miners staking claims in the Western United States in the 1800s. A long white beard, typical western wear, and now photos of my car!

I've been through this situation, usually with business owners who pop out when I'm taking pictures before or after hours, but never with a small-town government employee. So, I hop out of the car before he has a chance to upload my license plate to a Federal database of some sort. I immediately introduced myself and gave him my first and last name to put him at ease, hopefully. He asked what I was doing and said I raised concern with the staff ... in the 2 minutes I was outside trying to get a picture of the accessible parking spots!

Thankfully, I have a short explanation of what a Local Guide is and what we're trying to do. It also helped that he recognized my company name from my shirt. He eased up, and then came my favorite part of these encounters; we stood around and chatted for ten minutes or so about the town, his history working for the community, and all of the changes he has seen over the years. It was an encounter I would not have otherwise had if I had just spotted this character in the grocery store, nor would he likely have wanted to talk with me.

At the end of our chat, he told me about a delivery driver that just came into their office looking for an address that was supposed to be nearby. Google Maps showed the location in the middle of nowhere. My LG lightbulb went on again, and I fixed that issue, too. A few extra points, no arrests, and a great conversation. All in a day's work, I guess.

Do any of you have funny stories of encounters with weary or skeptical locals? Maybe I just come across as some international spy that must be up to no good?

007.jpg

JustJake TRAC Badge
Prescott, AZ, USA
14 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Am I Some Sort Of Spy?!? Who Is This Strange Dude?

Great storey, thanks for sharing it, @JustJake

Cheers 

Morten 

Level 10

Yes, of course... dear fellow LG friend @JustJake.

I have been asked to go to a police station, once. For my best luck, the inspector himself was a Local Guide! While I was Level 10, he was only Level 7 (if I remember correctly). We spent some time chatting, and he was kind enough to offer me fresh fruit juice also.

I have many other stories and experiences.

Regards 

Oh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform me

Level 10

@TravellerG Thankfully I have never been taken to the police! That's a true stroke of luck that you had a fellow LG at the station. I guess in a pinch we could just flash our Local Guide socks to try and prove that we're telling the truth 😁 

JustJake TRAC Badge
Level 10

Thank you, @MortenCopenhagen. Do you ever get questions when out adding new places? 

JustJake TRAC Badge
Connect Moderator

@JustJake

I have added nearly 15.000 pics. While doing so the owner of maybe 10 places asked me what I was doing. They all ended in pleasant conversations. No problems what so ever. 

One hairdresser really wanted to be the the shot, and I remember one flower shop owner who urged me to no photograph her storefront on a Monday because her fresh flowers had not arrived yet. 

Adding new places is always done from home because I need to check the website, business registry, the phone directory and sometimes Facebook or Instagram before I can add a new business.  

Cheers 

Morten 

Level 10

@MortenCopenhagen I see a lot of salons and massage places where the owners feature their own photos in their business profile. Maybe she just didn't have time to get a headshot, yet. 

JustJake TRAC Badge
Level 10

That is such a funny story @TravellerG It's crazy how they made you go to a police station, but I love how it turned out, and that the officer was also a Local Guide. 

Wow @JustJake I loved reading your story. We are twins! Even as a woman, I get skeptical or suspicious reactions when I'm photographing a plaza or other public spot. It's interesting, because if you are in a museum or a tourist spot, you could take hundreds of pictures without anyone saying anything... On the other hand, if you take a picture in say a shopping plaza, most people will think something is off. I believe it's because how people are conditioned. They see someone walking around non-tourist areas and as humans can be pre-disposed at times to thinking of the worse case scenario, they may think that we are loitering or up to no good. 😊

Once when I was up in Scottsdale, taking photos of some plazas, there were two instances of business owners coming out to ask if I needed help and why I was walking around. Similar to your experience, I was able to speak to them and advised what Local Guides is and how it helps to benefit the business as well by building their content and keeping it up to date. Another time I was up in Tempe Marketplace and I was there before it opened, so a security lady tailed behind me for a few minutes. She then came up to me and I let her know about Local Guides, however due to the security policies in place, she advised me I had to go for now. It was understandable as the plaza was not yet open for the day, and it could just be that particular one just had stricter policies. 

It would be interesting if a day could come where photographing for Local Guides would be perceived as normal.It still seems a big majority are unaware of our Local Guides program, and so they would wonder to themselves why someone would just walk around a plaza for "fun" and take photos. I do feel that the interactions we have @JustJake and @TravellerG where we speak to and educate the business owners and people around us are helping us to make small steps to build that trust and normalcy. 😍

PS. Looks like @AdamGT made an idea about a badge that we can wear so it helps with this issue when are out and about taking photos as a Guide.

Level 10

@AZ_2021 I was going to point out @AdamGT idea about a LG card.

Sounds like the guard at Tempe marketplace was full of themselves. There were 'mall walkers' that would show up to the indoor malls at 7 am to walk laps. If you look like a snowbird, maybe they'll leave you alone 😆

JustJake TRAC Badge
Level 10

Too funny @JustJake *proceeds to put on snowbird disguise for full immunity against skeptical looks and reactions 😉