ChayaM's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Adding a missing place

I looked but didnt find an answer to a couple of my questions. Lets start with How do I choose the category? What makes a "playground" a "park" and a "park" a "city park?"

When Gmaps asks me questions about whether something is categorized properly, sometimes, I wonder what they would define each item as.

Next question, when I add a place with pictures and a website address, it says I only get 15 points. Do I get credit for those other things later?

Thanks for reading, please share your thoughts!

Skokie, IL, USA
5 comments
Level 8

Re: Adding a missing place

hello

The added location may need approval to take points.This is my thinking .I'm not sure ....

MaxMaz08
Connect Moderator

Hello @ChayaM, here's a post I wrote about the way I often proceed when adding a new place:

Best Practice: Create on mobile / Complete on desktop
https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/Mapping-Your-World/Best-Practice-Create-on-mobile-Complete-on-...

As for categories: don't expect a conclusive answer on the definition of them - I have been asking similar questions for almost a year. Let's just say: there is a lot of inconsistency (esp. if you start taking the translation of category terms into account)

Check out LetsGuide Podcast | #LGCTM | Please always @Mention me so I see your reply
Level 8

Thanks @JanVanHaver I had just finished reading several of your articles when I posted my question! I had hoped you'd answer 🙂 I enjoyed reading your posts on best practices.

I too do the mobile and then go to the desktop site, but lately, I find its easier to just get it all done properly the first time via mobile. I like the mobile over desktop because I can add photos. But this article doesn't address my points question.

@MazinMax that kinda makes sense, thanks!

Connect Moderator

If you want to maximize the number of points, @ChayaM, you need to make all your changes separately - it's not what Google prefers you to do, though (my personal attitude on the topic: as long as all the information submitted is correct, it should not matter to Google if you submit it all at once or one by one). 

Check out LetsGuide Podcast | #LGCTM | Please always @Mention me so I see your reply
Connect Moderator

@ChayaM glad to hear youy enjoyed reading the posts - always nice that. As a matter of fact, I just published a new one earlier today:

Best Practice: Attempts to add bus stop or train station