AmandaN's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 1

Addiction

I am trying to figure out how to talk to a friend that is married with 3 children but is abusing alcohol. Everyone around is aware of her addiction but doesn't know how to go about talking to her. She has blown up at me in the past. She is really down on herself and I can't reason with her even bringing up how her children are suffering. Please give me some input on what you would do, or what you have done with someone like this.

I'm at the End of my Rope!

8 comments
Level 8

Re: Addiction

Pray for her. Try to get her to see her addiction by giving her a parable, a story that represents her story, and in the story have it depict how her alcoholism is destroying her life.

Level 3

Google "motivational interviewing". This is a style of therapy and talking with people that was designed for people with alcohol dependence. It's obviously best to be trained for this, but even the concept and examples for questions and such are helpful if you're stuck! Don't give up on your friend, it's impossible to fully know her struggle, but you can at the very least be there for her and talk with her when she wants to. Good luck!

Level 6

I was one of those kids and honestly either getting them out of there into other family members is an option till this person Sobers up or letting the kids know they are not alone.

@ChrisT wrote:

Google "motivational interviewing". This is a style of therapy and talking with people

@AmandaN wrote:

I am trying to figure out how to talk to a friend that is married with 3 children but is abusing alcohol. Everyone around is aware of her addiction but doesn't know how to go about talking to her. She has blown up at me in the past. She is really down on herself and I can't reason with her even bringing up how her children are suffering. Please give me some input on what you would do, or what you have done with someone like this.

@AmandaN wrote:

that was designed for people with alcohol dependence. It's obviously best to be trained for this, but even the concept and examples for questions and such are helpful if you're stuck! Don't give up on your friend, it's impossible to fully know her struggle, but you can at the very least be there for her and talk with her when she wants to. Good luck!

@ChrisT wrote:

Google "motivational interviewing". This is a style of therapy and talking with people

@AmandaN wrote:

@AmandaN wrote:

that was designed for people with alcohol dependence. It's obviously best to be trained for this, but even the concept and examples for questions and such are helpful if you're stuck! Don't give up on your friend, it's impossible to fully know her struggle, but you can at the very least be there for her and talk with her when she wants to. Good luck!

Level 1

I like this. Although I'm religious she isn't.

Level 1

I also was one of those kids, yet a differant addiction minbe had, and I had wished someone would intervene. This is why I am really looking everywhere to see what I can do besides taking her kids all the time so they aren't around her so much. 

Level 2

John Townsend and Henry Cloud co-authered a book titled "Boundaries".  I recommend

Level 7

Hi my name is David Collins and I run a Addiction treatment center in Johannesburg South Africa. I got to this page while I was playing with local guides because I am making a virtual tour of my facility The Foundation Clinic.

What I am trying to achieve is " To Cure the world of Addiction" a big goal I know !!!! but its a place to start. Addiction is a shame based illness that everyone seems to have an opinion about. I offer recovery coaching as well where it is the role of the coach to enter an environment that is in "Crisis Chaos and Conflict" . I am offering the training for free to anyone that is online and hopefully we have a load of videos that can help.

If you would like to join this platform please send an email with your email address , you phone number and of course your name and surname. to welcome@thefoundationclinic.co.za  Feel free to browse our websites The Foundation Clinic which is where we treat people clinically and then The Ubuntu Addiction Community Trust (U-ACT) this is our Non Profit where we train recovery coaches. Our online School The Foundation Clinic - Addiction Recovery Solutions(U-ACT PBO-930 037 894) 

Personally I would like to create local guides and virtual tours of Rehabs, my mission is to get people to take personal responsibility for their recovery and I think this is a great place to start........ Oh btw way feel free to subscribe to out youtube channel The Foundation Clinic YouTube Channel 

Level 1

In this world of drug abuse, religion does not need to divide us, there are so many addicts that just need love, and we should all co-exist and help each other as much as we can before our time runs out.  It unfortunately ran out for two of my best friends, and it hurts every day.  So, I started writing again, and I'm happy without the drugs.  You can do the same.  I have faith in you. 

God bless you, and many others sweetie.  xx