SujitBiswal's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 6

Add a bus stop

Add a bus stop to the map. It doesn't show this category.

5 comments
Level 10

Re: Add a bus stop

Hi @SujitBiswal

Only local transit agencies need to add their routes and bus stops to Google Maps through special program called Google Transit:

https://maps.google.com/landing/transit/index.html

You can always Report a problem with request of adding bus stop directly through Google Maps.

Regards,

Jacek

Google Diamond Product Expert - Maps, Business Profile, Earth, Gmail, Accounts | Street View Trusted Photographer | Local Guide | retired: Map Maker Help Forum Top Contributor & Poland RER/RL
Level 4

I have run into this problem too. In smaller towns (I live in Spain), it can be difficult to find information about bus stop locations. I have been entering bus stops by choosing the category of "transportation service". I think a category for bus stop should be added. As a frequent traveler and advocate of public transportation, the ability to find bus stops in new locations would be very useful.

Level 9
Level 9

@RussellS wrote:

I have been entering bus stops by choosing the category of "transportation service".

Hi @RussellS although you're doing this with very good intentions it's wrong and your bus stops will be removed eventually and you'll lose any points gained. It might be best to remove them now yourself.  If there's no category for something it's often a good indication it's not mappable by an LG and we shouldn't pick a different category to beat the system. If you continue to do add them it's possible your account might be reviewed for adding 'spam'. That's sounds a bit harsh but Google has to take a tough line sometimes or the map will fill up junk. You don't know that perhaps the transit company is about to add all these stops and suddenly the map will have lots of duplicates?

There are many things LGs can't add to the base map, in these situations a custom map from https://www.google.co.uk/maps/about/mymaps/ might be the answer

Level 4

PhilipF, thank you for your feedback. It is unfortunate that Google doesn't allow it. The many places that will not have local bus stops listed. It is convenient for travelers to have access to the information. As far as your statement "You don't know that perhaps the transit company is about to add all these stops and suddenly the map will have lots of duplicates?", then the stops could be removed at that time. Meanwhile people won't have access to the information, which is the whole purpose of being able to add information. Some places/people are not knowledgeable or tech savvy enough to know how to get their information out to Google maps.

Level 8

That's unfortunate, bus companies around here don't even use the internet to have their own webpage, or even a Facebook page, so it is extremely unlikely that they will use the Transit service to list their bus stops. (And I do mean extremely unlikely, since I asked). I guess people around here will have to live with the bus stops not being available in the map, since the feature hasn't been available for some years now.