anirudh04's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

A serious problem

Today, I had my worst experience with google maps.

I searched for Axis bank branch on maps, it showed me that my destination is 20 mins away.I followed and trusted maps as always.

When I got there I found out that the bank was not there but I continued my search and even asked local people for help.I showed them the maps and I was so confident that the maps can't be wrong for a place like a bank.Eventually, I wasted 1:30 hrs searching for it but didn't find it.I immediately requested to remove that place.Later I searched for some other branch and then completed my work.For a 20 mins thing, I wasted my 2:30 hrs.It was so annoying and irritating.

I only want to convey to google local guides, contributors that PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE if you want to contribute then do provide the right information on maps because it becomes very difficult for people and it wastes a lot of time especially for those who are not aware of that area.Being local guides it's our responsibility to provide the right information and even verify places and details.

Today, actually I got the idea of how difficult it can be for people to find a place and I hope that no one has such a bad experience with maps because it's very useful and trustable platform so please contribute in the right spirit and happily.

I felt that I had to write about it because it's really important!And honestly, I believe that we can make maps much better and more useful just by doing our part right.

Patiala, Punjab, India
12 comments
Level 8

Re: A serious problem

@anirudh04 Sorry this happened to you, that is very bad. I hope you get this issue resolved so that other don't experience what you did as well. I agree with you 100%, we as google guides need to look at the info provided and take the time to verify if it is correct. Hope you have a better day tomorrow.

Level 7

@N4speed77Hello sir. It's great to see people with same thinking and approach joining the conversation.

I hope you are doing well as a local guide and helping people. 🙂

Level 8

Hello anirudh04 i too have seen this error in many different cases. as local guides its our job to verify all listings in our area and fix the mistakes. when you find an error like this you can click on the marker and suggest an edit then move the marker to the correct place, or ask for it to be removed. after all fixing these problems is why we are local guides. i spend several hours every weekend checking the local map to correct markers in wrong places and removing business that have closed or moved. I am sorry you had to find this mistake the hard way but you fixed it so the next person wont have to go through what you did and truly that is what a good local guide does. Keep up the good work and don't get discouraged. 

Level 7

Thank you so much sir.

I hope you are contributing and helping others 🙂

Level 6

I wanted to chime in here. I had a similar experience when trying to use Google Maps to find the Arnos Vale Waterwheel in Tobago. There was more than one marker, but none was in the right place! This was the first time something like that had happened to me and my cousin even made fun of me a bit because I kept thinking that one of the markers would be correct! Having added info to a couple places now myself, I realize that in most cases after you place your pin you might need to go back and adjust it after your submission is accepted, and it's not something that everyone knows and it's sometimes not the easiest thing to do on your phone depending on your GPS signal or the accuracy of the map in your location. I'd love it if there was a web interface for fine tuning map additions. If there is one, please don't hesitate to tell me!

Level 8

Hello, sorry you have had problems, some times people dont zoom all the way in on the map and place the markers in the wrong place or just make a bad placement, to fix this go on your laptop or desktop, google maps, find the marker, click on the marker, then choose suggest an edit, then you can choose to move the marker to the correct spot or choose to delete the marker all together. this is the only way i now of. i hope this helps, keep up the good work and fix all the errors you are sure of. thats what makes a good local guide, not just posting reviews and pictures but repairing the errors is a big part of what we do. thank you for your efforts to make google maps a better app for everyone

Level 6

@JayAski wrote:

Hello, sorry you have had problems, some times people dont zoom all the way in on the map and place the markers in the wrong place or just make a bad placement, to fix this go on your laptop or desktop, google maps, find the marker, click on the marker, then choose suggest an edit, then you can choose to move the marker to the correct spot or choose to delete the marker all together. this is the only way i now of. i hope this helps, keep up the good work and fix all the errors you are sure of. thats what makes a good local guide, not just posting reviews and pictures but repairing the errors is a big part of what we do. thank you for your efforts to make google maps a better app for everyone

And I just found the web interface! Thanks for the heads up!

Level 6

1st It's very shameful to that Google local guide who updated wrong information that was shown on map as u searched 

2nd it's also shameful to whom agreed that location to wrong 

Now dear Anirudh you are well aware about axis bank location so try to update right particulars that can take out some one to right place who is need of axis bank location

Level 7

How frustrating! I've never really never used the maps for directions. I find it difficult to use. When Google requests that I go to a business I'm unfamiliar with to add I will check out the map they display and Ive had similar problems. Nothing like what happened to you thankfully.