MagdaRautenbach's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

A room with a view

As this is only my second post to Google Connect, I find it fitting to write about something which is very dear to my heart - South African wildlife. According to Wikipedia, South Africa has 299 species of mammals and 858 species of birds.

The big five - consisting of the lion, African elephant, Cape Buffalo, Black Rhino, and Leopard - is one of the main attractions to South Africa in terms of its wildlife. The term, Big Five, was originally invented by hunters to describe the five most difficult wild animals to hunt on foot in Africa.

A while back I visited Aquila Safari Private Game Reserve where the big 5 can be found. I decided to write about my visit to Aquila to showcase our amazing wildlife, and one of our game reserves, to the world.

RENOSTER.jpgOn the outset, I decided to search for a rhinoceros, as they are a critically endangered species worldwide. 

Due to the demand for rhino horn from Asian countries, all rhinoceros are facing the very real possibility of extinction, with the black, Sumatran and Javan rhinos listed as critically endangered by the IUCN. 

The Aquila Safari Private Game Reserve is situated about two hours drive from Cape Town in the town, Touws River and is a 4-star establishment in the Southern Karoo. The reserve is a10000 hectare conservancy and is owned by Searl Derman, who bought the land in 1999. The country took note of Searl Derman in 2011 when Absa, one of the rhinos at the reserve, was poached. Everyone who followed the story hoped that Absa would survive, and I am sure that the whole country cried with Searl Derman when he cried bitterly during a radio interview after Absa had died. I know I did!

Here is my link to the video I made about the Rhinos I saw. https://youtu.be/BQht_oHCtSE

Aquila reserve.jpgThere are quite a view accommodation options available at Aquila. There are standard and premier lodge rooms available, while larger families can opt for the Family Lodge Suites or for the Family Luxury Cottages.  aquila cottage.jpgWe had a wonderful weekend, filled with sightseeing and amazing food. We went on two game drives and were not disappointed at all.

elephant.jpgOur first stop was the African elephant, the largest animal walking the Earth. Their herds wander through 37 countries in Africa. There are two subspecies of African elephants—the Savanna (or bush) elephant and the Forest elephant. Savanna elephants are larger than forest elephants, and their tusks curve outwards. Forest elephants are smaller, darker and their tusks are straighter and point downward. Elephants are truly remarkable animals - did you know that the African Elephant has a gestation period of 22 months and that they weigh around 6000kg and is about 3.2 m tall? According to the Discover Wildlife website elephants even recognize their own reflection in the mirror. Apparently, a study was done on an Asian elephant called Happy who repeatedly touched an ‘X’ painted on her forehead while looking in the mirror, an indication that she knew she was looking at her own reflection. Most animals will assume that a reflection is another animal, and look for it behind the mirror. https://www.discoverwildlife.com/animal-facts/mammals/facts-about-elephants/

hippo.jpg

We also saw some hippos just laying in the water. In Africa, the Hippopotamus is known as one of the most aggressive creatures in the world and is often regarded as one of the most dangerous animals in Africa. Despite its stocky shape and short legs, it can easily outrun most humans as it can run up to 30 km/h over short distances.zebras.jpg

The next day we visited the lion camp. We came very near the lions - definitely to close for comfort, as you can see, as the lion in the photo had a blanket in her mouth, which is normally given to the passengers going on a game drive!

leeu.jpg

Lions in South Africa are mainly restricted to protected areas. They only occur naturally in the Northern and Eastern parts of South Africa. Females and cubs are always found together for long periods whilst the male lions only stop by periodically. In an average pride, you can expect to find 2 or 3 females and a number of cubs. Males form their own prides and breed whenever possible. Lions can spend up to 20 hours a day resting and are only active during the cooler period of the day. Lions are quite fast and can sprint up to 60km/hr but only for short distances. www.wildlifesouthafrica.com › Blog › MAMMALS OF SOUTH AFRICA

All the lions at Aquila have been rescued from the canned hunting industry, an industry that includes the practice of breeding animals specifically to be hunted and the practice of hunting tame, drugged animals and animals in small enclosures. 

jagluiperd.jpg

Aquila has built a large outdoor sanctuary comprising of several 1-hectare fenced camps where some of the once-doomed “canned lions” can roam freely. The Aquila Rescue Centre is also home to a rescued leopard and a cheetah breeding pair (part of a cheetah breeding programme). From time to time Aquila is fortunate enough to be able to rescue and release animals from the Centre. They have released several mountain leopards, numerous lynx, porcupines, owls and many other species. They have also built an Education centre where you can learn more about their Eco Synergy systems and the plight of the Rhino.   https://www.aquilasafari.com/

There is so much more I can tell you about our amazing wildlife in South Africa and the Aquila Safari Private Game Reserve. Their food was amazing and we have enjoyed their facilities tremendously. Aquila have been mentioned in the "World's 21 favourite things to do in Cape Town," and I can go on and on, but the most important reason I included them in my article, is the fact that they have a heart for animals. 

aquila-safari-animal-rescue-centre040 (1).jpg

As Mahatma Gandhi once said: The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." 

Aquila Safari Private Game Reserve, Touws River, South Africa
5 comments
Level 7

Re: A room with a view

Hi@Magda01

Nice pics indeed. Best.

Level 8

Hi @MagdaRautenbach 

A cool and informative article. Are you from South Africa too then? 

If you are and in Johannesburg, I'm hosting a Local Guides Meet-Up this coming Friday.

You can view the details and RSVP to the event HERE

It would be great to meet you in person along with @Bren-frm-SA and @Safdarrai 

Instagram | Linked In | YouTube Channel

"We can't help everybody but everybody can help somebody"

Level 9

Hi @MagdaRautenbach  awesome post from you. Really amazing pictures and very informative post by you. Thank you for sharing this kind of informative post.

Level 8

Hi LeeBee,

I would have loved to come to your meet up, but unfortunately I am from Stellenbosch, so I won’t make it this time.

I am going to try and organize one for Cape Town as well. 😀🇿🇦

Level 8

Hey @MagdaRautenbach 

Ok no worries, good luck with your Meet-Up. If you're ever in Jo'burg give a shout 🤘

Instagram | Linked In | YouTube Channel

"We can't help everybody but everybody can help somebody"