SirB's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

A bird's nest or a cocoon, hmm

At first sight, The Darling Exchange looks ominously like some timber-wrapped alien! But this new addition to Sydney's ever expanding development in Haymarket, Sydney is a "sight for sore eyes.

The Darling Exchange designed by Kengo & Yuko still under constructionThe Darling Exchange designed by Kengo & Yuko still under construction

It is purportedly built to accommodate a new library covering two floors with spaces for restaurants, cafés, bars and food court. The six storey building is called the Exchange and due to open very soon. 

The Exchange primarily earmarked as a libraryThe Exchange primarily earmarked as a library

It is supposedly designed to resemble a spiral bird's nest but some locals have already nicknamed it The Giant Cow Dung! However, the architects are regarded as avant-garde in their approach in their philosophical approach to modern designs. Well known for such exceptional buildings like Suntory Museum of Art in Tokyo

Kengo and Yuki masterpiece of The Exchange  in Haymarket SydneyKengo and Yuki masterpiece of The Exchange in Haymarket Sydney

It is believed to have used about 23 kilometers of sustainably acquired timber panels curving around the outside, a façade reminiscent of a bird's nest (Source: TimeOut Sydney). And of twelve food outlets here, Golden Century Seafood Restaurantone of the most famous and expensive Chinese restaurants in Sydney, will be in amongst the mix. This certainly is an exciting new addition to the ever expanding developments of this vibrant city of Sydney NSW.

The ExchangeThe Exchange

Enjoy! 

PS: I'm being released from the wilderness and rejoined Local Guide 👍😊🍹👌

Cheers 

SirB
Three Grand Essentials to Happiness: Something to DO, Something to LOVE and Something to HOPE for ❤
The Darling Exchange, Haymarket NSW, Australia
8 comments
Level 9

Re: A bird's nest or a cocoon, hmm

Hi @SirB ,

Thank you for your awesome photo, How great building! ....But, I'm worried if it will rot😁 And, Welcome back!

Level 10

Thanks very much @YutaE 

Yeah it's going to be an interesting building. Especially when there will always be people with opposing opinions. 👍

SirB
Three Grand Essentials to Happiness: Something to DO, Something to LOVE and Something to HOPE for ❤
Level 2

Its a great architecture idea & just WOW.

Level 10

It is indeed @Anwar_DMxpert 

Can't wait to explore when it opens. 

SirB
Level 8

@SirB awsome and a bit rare!! Keep sharing!!

Level 8

@SirB I'm glad you came out from the wilderness and rejoined us finally. 🙂 The design of that building is gorgious. I vote for a bird's nest. If I was a bird, I would fly inside the nest and reserve it! Thank you for sharing this nice building design with us.

Level 10

Indeed @Ant_Bad_Yogi 

I love the way you look at things and utter "why the heck not"! Thanks for the compliment and cheers for the welcome back! I'm a great admirer of your posts so keep it up!

Cheers 🙏

SirB
Level 10

Thanks a million @Male2019 

I'm pleased that you found it interesting 😊

And keep up your beautiful posts as well!

Cheers 👍🙏

SirB