Robyn_L's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

A Local Guide in South Africa: Taking it Offline

I've been a local guide in Cape Town, South Africa for just over 2 years now. I joined the community when I started travelling because I found myself relying on Google Maps and the contributions of guides in other countries so often that I felt I had to 'pay it forward'. I never take a trip out of my city or country without Google Maps. I am currently planning a trip for April to the Philippines and I am relying heavily on location, accommodation and activity reviews from local contributors (if you have any, please comment down below!).

My city, Cape Town has become a huge tourist attraction (because we have it all here) and I appreciate that I am able to provide visitors with valuable information and photos of the best views, restaurants, markets, hikes, beaches and activities for their time in this beautiful city.

However, the most rewarding part of being a local guide is helping my fellow Capetonians. I spend quite a lot of my time online contributing to Google Maps and it does sometimes feel like a thank-less job but then I remember the small positive impact it can have on a day out for another person.

About a year after becoming a local guide, I decided that I wanted to do more - I wanted to discover and experience the city with people, offline, making connections with people face-to-face. This program prompted me to start an online community, of mostly locals, looking to connect, create friendships and memories in places they'd never been.

This decision has made a big impact on my life; it has become a form of therapy, has led to good friendships, great laughs, tasty food and memories I would never have made were I not a local guide looking to know and share more of my city. I've created a safe space for locals to make long-life friends, solo travelers to have company on a night out, and long-term visitors to have buddies to call on.

Now, a year later, we are a community of almost a thousand people who meet up a few times a month and visit new restaurants, beaches, concerts, fitness events and more, allowing me to further my contributions to Maps - it's a win win. Being a part of the local guide team planted the seed that has lead to a significant change in my everyday life.

Thank you LC Team

#LocalStories #ConnectLive2020

Cape Town, South Africa