MelTG's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

A Grocery Store Experience Unlike Any Other: Part One

It’s no secret that @Mikeinthefalls  and I love to travel. Whether it be for a weekend or something a little longer, the older I get, I’ve begun to understand just how important a little travel and exploration is to my well-being. A hectic schedule (and budget) doesn’t always allow for an elaborate vacation, but we still try to find ways to break up the monotony of life by hopping in the car and going somewhere any chance we are able. while Ohio might not top anyone's must visit list, we’ve got our fair share of wonderfully fun, unique and interesting places and things that are worth exploring.

We have taken plenty of fun day trips that are each deserving of a Connect post, but I 've decided to highlight a very special place that we build weekend trips to Cincinnati around. I promise you this destination is DEFINITELY worth visiting the next time you’re within a few hours of Cincinnati, Ohio and have some time to kill and a sense of adventure that needs satisfying.

One thing that we, as humans, all have in common is that we must eat. And why not making it enjoyable. Regardless of your skill level in the kitchen, you’ve likely wanted to cook a meal that you didn’t have all the ingredients on hand for. In this predicament, there are two options. Scrap the idea and make something else or you venture to your local grocery store, only to find that they don’t carry what you’re looking for. We’ve ALL been there, and it can be incredibly disappointing for those of us who enjoy cooking and trying new foods. From here, we can either drive all over town trying to track down an ingredient, hit up Amazon hoping they might have it or we throw our hands in the air and grab a frozen pizza and call it dinner.

But what if there was another option? What if there was grocery store that carried all kinds of foods/ingredients from all over the world all under one roof?

Well, fellow Guides….allow me to introduce you to Jungle Jim’s International Market.

Safari animals welcome you to the Jungle Jim's in Fairfield, Ohio. Photo courtesy of www.junglejims.comSafari animals welcome you to the Jungle Jim's in Fairfield, Ohio. Photo courtesy of www.junglejims.com

The outside of the Cincinatti, Ohio locationThe outside of the Cincinatti, Ohio location

@Mikeinthefalls  had discovered Jungle Jim’s several years ago when he joined his mom on an organized outing with her church group and he knew without a doubt that I would be in heaven once I walked through those doors. And he was not wrong!! I knew I was in for a total treat the moment we pulled into the parking lot. The parking lot was packed with hundreds of cars and the perimeter wa lined with tour busses. THAT’S how you know this isn’t just your run-of-the-mill grocery store and I couldn’t wait to walk through those doors to experience all that Jungle Jim’s had to offer.

In staying true to spirit of Jungle Jim’s, it would be impossible for me to fit everything I have to share with you in one post, so this will be a two part series. 

In this first post, I will share a little history of how Jungle Jim’s came to be and give you a little taste of what you can expect. And in the second post, I’ll take you on a journey through the store that you’ll, no doubt, enjoy! Are you ready to dive in?

A collage of photos courtesy of www.junglejims.comA collage of photos courtesy of www.junglejims.com

While I’ve always wondered things like: ”Is Jungle Jim an actual person?”, “How did this store become so massive” and “Do they have plans to expand into other markets?”, it wasn’t until writing this post that I actually sought answers to those questions that have been in my mind for years. I was pleasantly surprised that there was a whole section of their website dedicated to sharing their story of how they got started and how it has evolved into the enormous operation it is today. If you have 8 minutes, I would encourage you to watch THIS VIDEO that they have put together.

In case you don’t have time, I’ll summarize the history. James Bonaminio (aka Jungle Jim) hales from Lorain, Ohio and, from the age of six years old, embodied the spirit of a true entrepreneur. From doing odd jobs for neighbors and family, to reselling golf balls he’d collected from a local course, to selling miscellaneous wares out of his truck, a few hard lessons and he had built a recognizable brand and had a loyal following. As his dreams grew, he knew he needed a bigger space and in 1974, began building the his vision a few thousand square feet at a time. Today, there are two locations with a combined footprint of more than 500,000 square feet and they are continually looking for the next big thing to keep shoppers coming back and giving them new experiences each time they walk through the doors.

A few pro tips before you go:

1)     Make sure you remember where you park. They have aisle markers for a reason

2)     Grab a cart. If you are shopping with someone, they’ll want to grab one also.

3)     You will be here for a while so make sure you do not go into the market on an empty stomach. We always pack a snack (or better yet, find something in the store that you can snack on while perusing. Just make sure you save the packaging for checkout)

4)     Jungle Jim’s is always busy. But it is especially busy on the weekends. If you do not do well in packed places or want a more relaxing shopping experience, I would highly recommend you go on a Tuesday or Wednesday morning/afternoon to avoid as much chaos, as possible.

Now that you know the history and you’ve gotten a few tips from the pro’s, head over to THIS post where I’ll take you on a virtual tour of Jungle Jim’s International Market. I can't wait to share it with you!

Cincinnati, OH, USA
12 comments
Level 8

Re: A Grocery Store Experience Unlike Any Other: Part One

Hi @MelTG Yes i really liked going to the Jungle Jim's store. It is so vast it takes hours to cover and see all the items they have. It definitely is not like any other regular grocery store for sure. I am sure a lot must have changed now, maybe it's bigger than before a lot more international items maybe. Weekends used to so crowded and like a fair, you don't get parking easily.

Happy you are exploring @MelTG . I agree i also understood the importance of exploring new city and trying new food and learn new culture. Everyone should do it. Told my husband he has to take me to a new country every year 😀. Nice post. I remember we used to go buy fresh sardines at this store and the person used to give us extra fish just because no one was buying that fish, that was more than a decade ago. They used to have an isle just for Indian ingredients. I always have list to buy but always buy more than the list because of the variety they carry here. Nice shop for kids to have fun too. Thanks for sharing this post. Remembered good old days shopping here.

Keep Guiding.

Anitha Muthu
Level 7

@AnithaM I was so happy that someone had been there and could share on my excitement.

What countries has he taken you to? Have your travels given you any new favorite foods you wouldn't have other wise tried??

Level 8

Hi @MelTG I have not been to other countries yet but planning to in the next couple of years. Currently i want to visit all the 50 states of the Unites States of America. I have visited London, obviously USA, Born in Southern India and visited Dubai. I have list of countries that i am planning to visit in the next couple of years. Will definitely post when i do. Of them Canada, Paris, Portugal, Switzerland are on top list and have a long list too 😀

I am planning to post and ask all our LG's about it as well. I have been thinking about it for a long time. I will write a post and tag you when i do.

What other countries have you travelled to ? 

Thanks again for writing about Jungle Jim store. I was pleasantly surprised and liked it.

Anitha Muthu
Level 7

As you mentioned @MelTG I had no idea what Jungle Jim's was when I first went there and let me say that I could not have been more surprised! I was just tagging along for the trip, would never have guessed how impressive it would be.

Now that you've been a handful of times, it's great to see you share your enjoyment of it. Your appreciation is evident as you write and share with us! 

I'm looking forward to Part 2 and seeing what you've chosen to highlight in the store... 🤔😁

Level 7

@AnithaM I look forward to future posts about your travels ☺️

Level 10

Hello @MelTG ,

I like people's history, especially when they have talent, intuition, luck and create giant things.
When I was in Montana I remember spending hours inside these huge supermarkets full of everything and more (not the one described). It's like entering a playground and I always end up exhausted. That's why in Italy I go shopping in small shops, less attractive but more relaxing.

Congratulations on your post and for sharing information and photos.

Best Regards

Level 7

@DENIT33 I can see how this type of experience could be exhausting. I def enjoy exploring small local businesses as well..

Level 10

Beautiful pictures @MelTG Never saw a grocery store like this; looks super fun.

Love the tips you shared as well esp when to go to avoid crowds 😉😍

Level 8

🤩 Ich bin sehr angeregt und neugierig durch deinen Beitrag @MelTG !

Es gibt nur sehr wenige Tage an denen ich mir zutrauen würde einen SOLCHEN, viel besuchten Einkaufsmarkt aufzusuchen. Deine nützlichen Hinweise sind da in der Tat sehr hilfreich!

Ich bin extrem gespannt auf Part 2 😉

Leider kann ich dein Video nicht anschauen, da taucht immer ein Fehler auf.

Über mich | Liebe Grüße aus Lage, der kleinen Zuckerstadt im schönen Lipperland, gelegen im Westen von Deutschland