SanyaOdare's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

A Blessing in Disguise - The Local Guides Program

Saturday, 18 March 2017 remains such an unforgettable day of my entire life on planet earth. It was the day I met @HelloJess and @JuanCh who flew in to Lagos for "Map Your World Week" event and it was also the day I first met @U-royFelixA@EmekaUlor@IsaacUnlimited, as well as 60+ Google Local Guides in Lagos. I was awestruck by some stats presented to us on that day and I couldn't but make up my mind to become more committed, passionate and consistent with my contributions on Google Maps.

Photo Collage - Map Your World Week in Lagos - Nigeria.Photo Collage - Map Your World Week in Lagos - Nigeria.

My first meet-up ever was the “Lagos Food Crawl” which was well attended and gave me so much confidence to hold several other meet-ups thereafter. Other meet-ups I've hosted are:

Lagos With Nature - Geo Walk 2017

Lagos Boat Cruise Photo Walk

Lagos Independence Day Walk

Lagos The "36" Walk

Lagos-Ogun Joint Meet-Up

Lagos Wazobia Cuisine Crawl

Jabi Lake Mall Photo Walk

Lagos Kayak Photo Walk

Ikeja City Mall Food Crawl

Hosting meet-ups has indeed been a huge blessing in disguise for me, given that I’m naturally an introvert fellow as well as a workaholic who spend most of his time (prior to becoming a passionate Google Local Guide) in front of laptop and indoor – all day. Meet-ups have allowed me to meet, engage and interact more with both people and even the city of Lagos I thought I knew so well.

GLOBALLY

Local Guides Summit 2017 (which was dubbed #BestSummitEver) was my first time ever of travelling outside Nigeria and first time of meeting @KarenVChin and @ermest as well as other Local Guides from across the globe.

Connect Live 2018 affords me the opportunity to meet both friends from Local Guides Summit 2017 and make new ones. 

Connect Live 2018 photosConnect Live 2018 photos

Whilst making plans to attend Connect Live 2019, I initially had the challenge of booking my flight for my preferred dates but thanks to @brittym who came to my rescue by offering me tips on avoiding scheduling my flights within the week of Thanksgiving. OMG!!! Her travel advice works like magic.

Although the flight schedule option I had comes with the challenge of a 5hr layover at Minneapolis−Saint Paul International Airport. However, the 5hr layover eventually turned out to be “a blessing in disguise” as I spent my time there moving round several parts of the airport and clicking my phone camera away which I later uploaded to Google Maps. One of the pictures I took there made it to first photo of Minneapolis−Saint Paul International Airport on Google Maps and singularly has 2,306,387 views (as at when I made this post).

Screenshot of Minneapolis−Saint Paul International Airport on Google MapsScreenshot of Minneapolis−Saint Paul International Airport on Google Maps

On returning to Lagos from my Connect Live 2019 trip and whilst sharing tons of photos I took with my wife and 2 daughters, my 9yr old daughter made a remark and said: “My Dad now has friends all over the world”. What a profound statement that was – for me!

2019 Roadtrip photos with fellow Local Guides2019 Roadtrip photos with fellow Local Guides

Right now, I look back at my journey as a Local Guide and I can boldly say that the Google Local Guides program has indeed been “a blessing in disguise” - transforming me from a computer nerd to one whose contributions on Google Maps is blessing others both locally and globally.

30 comments
Level 10

Re: A Blessing in Disguise - The Local Guides Program

@SanyaOdare Lovely memories, brother. I’m all nostalgic right now. Thank you very much for sharing 😊

Level 10

I know right @U-royFelixA! You're most welcome "our Chief". 🤣😂🤣😂

Level 10

IRe: A Blessing in Disguise - The Local Guides Program

I needed something uplifting and fascinating to read during this time and this post came in really handy. I read everything into to, all that you have shared interest me. 

It's been really wonderful attending your meetups as they are always fun-packed. I can remember all the experiences, and of course @Ameyali_Mx cannot afford to miss this. 

Isaac
Level 7

You are one of the few people I look up to as a local guide,keep been the best as you are super hero.

Level 10

Re: IRe: A Blessing in Disguise - The Local Guides Program

I'm glad my post is a blessing to you @Mayford! Thank you for your compliments and kind words about my meet-ups - I appreciate.

Level 10

Awwww... I'm deeply touched by your comment @Tosin_Creations! I will keep doing my best to be a blessing to everyone around me.

Level 10

What a compact story of your journey as a local guide this is @SanyaOdare . I am so proud to be associated with you through the local guide. Your input on the map is truly helping Nigerian map users. God bless you for your efforts sir. 

Level 10

Thank you @MrFreez! I'm glad that the Local Guides program was instrumental to my first meeting with you. Ain't no stoppin' you and I as well as other Local Guides across the world to keep making Google Maps better.

Level 9

@SanyaOdare Good luck to you! I like photos from your roadtrip before CL2019. It looks like you had a lot of fun together! All that brings to me only nice memories from last year Connect Live. Thank you for your post 😊