AriMar's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Google Editor

5 Local Guides share why it’s so important for women to contribute on Maps

Caption: An image that shows five portraits of women who are Local Guides.Caption: An image that shows five portraits of women who are Local Guides.

It’s important to represent all voices on Google Maps, so everyone can find and discover places that appeal to their needs and tastes. So to celebrate International Women’s Day, we’re featuring 5 women from around the world who are inspiring others with their thoughtful reviews and beautiful photography. We asked them about their contributions as Local Guides and why it’s important for women to share their experiences on the map.

Check out what they had to say below and then head over to Instagram to see some of the amazing photos they’ve shared on Maps.

Caption: A photo of Local Guide Qianyun Fang wearing a backpack on a city street and smiling at the camera. (Ciel Lui)Caption: A photo of Local Guide Qianyun Fang wearing a backpack on a city street and smiling at the camera. (Ciel Lui)Qianyun Fang, Level 8 (Tokyo, Japan)

Why do you think it’s important for women to share their photos on Google Maps?

I reckon many women have a different point of view from men on a lot of things, and we usually tend to feel the world in a way more sensitive, more aesthetically. Therefore with more female users to share their photos that shows what they appreciate, what they value, is exactly the way to honor the spirit of diversity.

What are a few words to describe how the world looks through your lens?  

It's so alive, so full of wonder, unexpected adventure and discovery. It's unpredictable what will come into my viewfinder or sight in the next minute. But when I press the shutter button, what has been captured will be preserved the way it was at that very second. That's how I wish to remember about the world, no matter how things change inevitably.

Caption: A photo of Local Guide Julyane Lima sitting at a cafe and smiling at the camera. (Tommaso Rada)Caption: A photo of Local Guide Julyane Lima sitting at a cafe and smiling at the camera. (Tommaso Rada)

Julyane Lima, Level 6 (São Paulo, Brazil)

It's important for other women around the world knows how some places are exactly. If she felt safe in there, for example, or how the neighborhood is during nighttime.

Tasty and fun.

Caption: A photo of Local Guide Britney Nicole standing on a New York City street holding a pink cup. (Mark Abramson)Caption: A photo of Local Guide Britney Nicole standing on a New York City street holding a pink cup. (Mark Abramson)

Britney Nicole, Level 3 (New York City)

As women, we have so many places that we hold near and dear to our hearts. From our favorite cafes to our favorite hair salonsthese are the places that we trust and want to share with the world. That's why it's important that we're able to share our photos on Google Maps. We're always trying to help each other, so what better way than showing other women the places we love and trust.

Gosh, I think the best way to describe the world through my lens is perfectly imperfect. I find little flaws in each photo, and sometimes by not editing them out it speaks even louder and adds so much character. I think the rawness is what makes me the most excited to get out and capture whatever catches my eye.

Caption: A photo of Local Guide Alexandra Lalaneats sitting outside of a restaurant with a plate of food and coffee in front of her. (Tanya Lake)Caption: A photo of Local Guide Alexandra Lalaneats sitting outside of a restaurant with a plate of food and coffee in front of her. (Tanya Lake)

Alexandra Lalaneats, Level 6 (Sydney, Australia)  

I think it's extremely important for women to have a voice in society and be able to express themselves the same as any other individual. The Google Local Guides community has given us a platform to show our voices through our work and photography style. I know I personally use this platform to spread the word about local venues around Sydney that I am passionate about. I love photographing food and making a plate of food pop.

Light, bright, and colorful.

Caption: A photo of Local Guide Indrani Ghose outdoors, holding her camera. (Asmita Parelkar)Caption: A photo of Local Guide Indrani Ghose outdoors, holding her camera. (Asmita Parelkar)

Indrani Ghose, Level 5 (Bangalore, India)

Women photographers can contribute a lot to unite the world with their photos shared on Google Maps. Photographs help to connect us wherever we are. Distances diminish with pictures shared. There would be no borders left. More women sharing pictures could also give confidence to women to travel more.

Our world is a place full of contrasts. There is happiness, sorrow, perfection, ruins… It is a place of constant changesa moment that has happened will never happen exactly the same way again. So, to me the world looks exciting through my lens.

Now, it’s your turn! Tell us in the comments below why you think it’s important for women to share their photos on Maps.

190 comments
Level 6

Re: 5 Local Guides share why it’s so important for women to contribute on Maps

Woman are so beautiful and photos are an illustration to describe visibility, reality and most important the beauty. 

So why not? 

I love to share photos on maps 🙂

Level 9

مرحبا @AriMar

لأن المرأة نصف المجتمع

تقبلوا تحياتي 

مرشد محلي سعودي 🇸🇦 

Googler

Love this post and seeing so many new (to me) faces of Local Guides around the world.

As a solo traveler, I find photos incredibly helpful to make better decisions. The things I care about as a woman (like a hotel room having an extra lock on the door) are incredibly important, so I tend to take photos of things important to me which can be important to others, too. As some of the women mentioned, this diversity in contributions helps to make the Map more representative of us who use it! 

Hey @vvbellur, this is highly-relevant to the latest episode of GoLoco! 

Note: Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!.
Level 9

Happy Women's Day #internationalwomensday #internationalwomensday2019 

Level 10

Thanks dear @AriMar for sharing this enlightening and empowering post. 

My best wishes to all Female local Guides, moderators and Google team. 

Level 8

This post makes me nothing but happy. I can’t agree more with the power of a photograph. 

Everytime A woman local guide in India mentions the existence of Clean and safe public toilet, another woman is relieved she can safely travels to the place. 

Everytime a woman cites the accessibility feature at a public building, another woman boldly goes out and get her work done. 

And I believe thats the power of photographs shared by women. All female local guides all around the globe sharing the images are somewhere assisting the other person reaching out to maps for a single helpful review, single helpful image.

That’s the power of a photo! 

Happy International Women’s Day everyone. 

Level 7

Women are not those who only represent the kitchen or home she is  very creative creature of God who represents the whole world. Women has more power than men who lookafter the both things( world and home).I appreciate those women who carry there personality exactly what they are ,So Happy women day.

Level 6

Happy International Women's Day

Level 5

To all women all over the worldTo all women all over the world