DanniS's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Google Contributor

3 tips for editing your photos using your phone

Caption: A set of three mobile phone screenshots showing three different photos after editing. The photo on the left is a black and white photo of palm trees with the tonal contrast set on high; the middle photo shows purple flowers with adjusted brightness and color effects; the photo on the right is a photo of two umbrellas against a blue sky, for which high color contrast has been used.  (Local Guide @DanniS)Caption: A set of three mobile phone screenshots showing three different photos after editing. The photo on the left is a black and white photo of palm trees with the tonal contrast set on high; the middle photo shows purple flowers with adjusted brightness and color effects; the photo on the right is a photo of two umbrellas against a blue sky, for which high color contrast has been used. (Local Guide @DanniS)

Over the past year, I’ve started using my mobile phone more than my camera for taking photos during my travels. It’s easier, quicker, and makes photos instantly available for sharing.

Many Local Guides also use their phones to take photos of their adventures, food, or a beautiful landscape to upload on Connect and Google Maps. The more beautiful a photo is, the more appreciated it is.

Your phone’s built-in editing tools can help you enhance your photos. Here are some of the things I do when editing photos on my phone.

1. Enabling HDR

Before taking any photos, I make sure I have enabled the HDR (high dynamic range) function.

The HDR takes several photos with different exposures and automatically combines them to give me one photo with the best quality.

On some mobile phones, this feature can be seen on the screen when you open the camera app. On others, it can be found in the camera settings.

Caption: A set of two mobile phone screenshots, showing where to find the HDR option. The screenshot on the left shows the camera settings tab on an iPhone, and the one on the right shows the HDR function at the top part of the screen of an open camera app on an Android phone. (Local Guide @DanniS)Caption: A set of two mobile phone screenshots, showing where to find the HDR option. The screenshot on the left shows the camera settings tab on an iPhone, and the one on the right shows the HDR function at the top part of the screen of an open camera app on an Android phone. (Local Guide @DanniS)

2. Cropping

Cropping your photo enables you to get rid of distracting elements or unwanted objects from the edges of the frame. This results in a cleaner, simpler photo with much stronger visual impact.

In some cases, I crop my image to improve composition and symmetry. If a photo is tilted, cropping can help to improve the perspective.

One thing to keep in mind when cropping is not to zoom in too much as this may result in poor image quality.

aption: A set of two mobile phone screenshots showing a photo of a beach with white and blue umbrellas before and after cropping. The screenshot on the left shows the original photo  with a slightly tilted sea horizon, while the screenshot on the right shows the cropped image with straightened horizon. (Local Guide @DanniS)aption: A set of two mobile phone screenshots showing a photo of a beach with white and blue umbrellas before and after cropping. The screenshot on the left shows the original photo with a slightly tilted sea horizon, while the screenshot on the right shows the cropped image with straightened horizon. (Local Guide @DanniS)

3. Adjusting light and color

Light adjustments allow you to correct the overall exposure of a photo. You can improve the brightness, highlights, shadows, and contrast of a photo on almost every phone.

Brightness brightens or darkens the photo accordingly. Highlights are the bright areas in your photo and shadows are the dark areas. By adjusting the highlights and shadows, you lighten or darken the different parts of the photo. This makes your photo look more lively and vivid.

Caption: A set of two mobile phone screenshots, showing a close-up photo of purple flowers, with a city skyline in the background before and after editing the light. The left photo is the original one, which has more subdued colors, while the one on the right has the brightness, highlights, shadows, and color adjusted, making it more vibrant and vivid. (Local Guide @DanniS)Caption: A set of two mobile phone screenshots, showing a close-up photo of purple flowers, with a city skyline in the background before and after editing the light. The left photo is the original one, which has more subdued colors, while the one on the right has the brightness, highlights, shadows, and color adjusted, making it more vibrant and vivid. (Local Guide @DanniS)

The light or “tonal” contrast refers to the difference between the lightest and the darkest tone in a photo. In other words, it shows the transition from white through gray to black. This tool is most effective for black and white images. Low tonal contrast gives photos a more grayish hue and a vintage feel, while high tonal contrast makes objects stand out, giving the image more edginess.

Caption: A set of two mobile phone screenshots, showing a back and white photo of palm trees before and after editing the tonal contrast. The screenshot on the left shows the tonal contrast set on low, making the photo more gray, while the one on the right has high tonal contrast, making the palm trees stand out more. (Local Guide @DanniS)Caption: A set of two mobile phone screenshots, showing a back and white photo of palm trees before and after editing the tonal contrast. The screenshot on the left shows the tonal contrast set on low, making the photo more gray, while the one on the right has high tonal contrast, making the palm trees stand out more. (Local Guide @DanniS)

When it comes to color adjustments, I like to play with the color contrast and saturation. The color contrast reflects the way colors interact with each other. It allows you to achieve a better color composition of the photo.

Keep in mind, color contrast works best only if there are just a few colors in the photo. If there are more colors, the tonal contrast comes in handy.

Caption: A set of two mobile phone screenshots, showing a photo of one red umbrella and one blue umbrella against a blue sky before and after editing the color contrast. The left photo has low color contrast, making the colors subdued. The right one has high color contrast and it is more saturated, making the umbrellas stand out against the background. (Local Guide @DanniS)Caption: A set of two mobile phone screenshots, showing a photo of one red umbrella and one blue umbrella against a blue sky before and after editing the color contrast. The left photo has low color contrast, making the colors subdued. The right one has high color contrast and it is more saturated, making the umbrellas stand out against the background. (Local Guide @DanniS)

Saturation makes the colors more intense or cancels them altogether. You can make your photos more saturated or black and white, depending on your preferences.

What tools do you use to edit your mobile phone photos? Share your tips in the comments below.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

340 comments
Level 9

Re: 3 tips for editing your photos using your phone

Excellent, very helpful tips for Mobile Camera @DanniS 

Thank you for sharing with us.

Level 5

Snapseed has been my companion for the last few years for mobile image manipulation, It's intuitive UI and workflows are good for any beginner!

Level 5

Great post and tips! I've always found the settings on my phone's camera a little bit daunting to get my head round but this explains it all very well!! Going to give some of your tips a go next time I take a photo using my phone and see how it turns out! 🙂

@AbdullahAM Thank you and you're welcome to apply them. 🙂

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

@Abhijith_Suresh Yes it's a great mobile-friendly app for achieving great results indeed! Thanks for sharing!

That's great @FourTwenty! I'm happy to hear you find it useful. Sometimes it's a bit confusing how and why to use a certain feature, but I say give it a go and show us what you've captured 🙂 

Level 6

Love the tips and tricks @DanniS! Thanks for sharing! I've experimented with a few apps, and I find myself using Lightroom for Mobile. It's a free app and it is packed with really useful photo editing features. One cool feature I recently discovered was that it can capture raw DNG picture much like how a professional camera would, allowing for more flexibility when editing colors and tones. Thanks again! 

Level 7

nice and easy tips! Thanks 🙂

Dual Student Mechatronics in Hamburg
Level 5

Thank you so much for sharing... Very helpful indeed!