ViganRon's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

new point system

Last November I became aware of massive errors in the Google Maps of the Northern Philippines where I now live. That is when I became a local guide. Since I often work with schools this is where I first noticed the problems. Depending on the town, 60-90% of the remote schools were miss located.  Some of the markers were placed in a different town even the wrong Province. Often the markers  for most of the schools in a remote town would all be stacked in one location.

(There are about 40,000 government schools in the Philippines. Except for major population areas most were miss located on the map)

This was the type of challenge I enjoy. With the recent addition of street view I quickly amassed more than 500 points under the old system. Most of my points were for repositioning the miss located markers.

Google Maps still needs hundreds or thousands of corrections here in the Philippines and many of them will be challenging. This in addition to adding all the new businesses that are springing up like mushrooms.

The new point system seems to favour the local guides who just go out and shoot thousands of pictures to upload.  

Lastly I would like to thank the one who programmed my "Check the Facts" to ask if every business in my region has  "First Anniversary Year"  in the name.  It is easy points just answering no to all of them.

Philippines
1 comment
Level 8

Re: new point system

@ViganRon,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experience. You made me smile with your (honest confession) story about your Check the Fact experience. Lucky you 😉

As many Local Guides with me agree, our contributions are not about points, kudos or badges, but instead making a difference on Maps.

Keep up the good work!

JeroenM