AndresW's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 2

Why star rating?

Think the way people is rating the products is leaving the decision to feelings such as anger, envy, and others.

When they decide wether to give a 5 star or a 3 star is often based on their instant reactions. Someone told me not to ever take a decisión whenever your very mad or very happy... and that is what star rating is doing to the products.

While taking some questions on the Local Guides app, i thought that maybe with enough information such as "feelings on text" (like in the crowdsourcing app), and by the answers we are getting from crowdsourcing from Gboard; we could be making a rating based on the answers people give to the questions we ask for, so we can obtain a more exact result of the rating of a product/place. 
2 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: Why star rating?

Hi @AndresW. This is good feedback, thank you.

Even if you are right and there are people that leave a rating after a very happy or angry experience, the huge number of contributions means that, when everything is aggregated, the overall rating is consistent. And we take into account also more signals than just the ratings when a place has only very few of them 🙂

Local Guides Community Program Manager
Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. Thank you.
Level 2

Re: Why star rating?

That's true ! but if we took out all the inconsitency then there's a more accurate rating.

It ain't about taking out the user as for ratings, instead we just use all the information they have given to make a consistent rating.

One that can´t be manipulated by anyone or anything superficial. 

Thanks for the input! really helpped!