AjitW's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Use UNICODE for translating English words into Indian Languages

While doing the Facts Check in Google maps, i came across the translation of English words into Marathi language (India's one of the most spoken languages). Almost all the translations were funny or weird. The name of an association, a store, a business, etc are all Proper Nouns. There can be change of the language script for a Proper Noun, but the pronounciation has to be same irrespective of the language. For example: Gateway of India (India's one of the Iconic Landmarks), here i would do the change of Roman script (English) to Devnagari script (used for Marathi and Hindi language). The correct translation would be गेटवे ऑफ इंडिया. If i do a complete (literal) translation into Marathi, it would be भारताचे प्रवेशद्वार, but readers would not recognise the place. So using the Unicode Marathi (or Unicode for any Indian language) will help to make proper translations. (EXCEPTION: the literal translation of the English words into an Indian language is applicable to the government, semi government or municipal departments or Judiciary or Bureaucracy Example: Prime Minister --> प्रधानमंत्री or पंतप्रधान)...

@Corrie @TraciC @GusMoreira @MariaBi @ProfArunCM 

CORRECT TRANSLATION. ONLY SCRIPT CHANGE WITH SAME PRONOUNCIATION FOR ENGLISH AND MARATHI...CORRECT TRANSLATION. ONLY SCRIPT CHANGE WITH SAME PRONOUNCIATION FOR ENGLISH AND MARATHI...

WEIRD TRANSLATION. HERE IT IS EXPLAINED IN MARATHI, INSTEAD OF SIMPLE TRANSLATION...WEIRD TRANSLATION. HERE IT IS EXPLAINED IN MARATHI, INSTEAD OF SIMPLE TRANSLATION...