bigmovie's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

The Mystery of the Missing Photo Points & Vanishing Listing Images

In the past year or so I have reached 3M+ views on just under 500 total photos.  I have several photos with 6 figure view counts and numerous photos featured on listing pages throughout Google Maps.  I've achieved level 4 status and received the 1TB drive bonus months ago.  Now a deeply troubling error is reeking havoc on my account.  It's threatening my ability to get points for photos (new or existing), preventing them from showing up in any and all listings AND (more recently) preventing me from seeing photos of ANY kind on ANY listing page.  I first noticed this about 2-3 weeks ago.  My points had dropped to about 150 (level 3) from about 270 (level 4).  I reached out to Local Guides Support and eventually I was back up to level 4 at around 280 points (I had answered some Qs and left a few reviews in the meantime).  Still, my photos were in disarray.  Not all of them were showing up on their listing pages and all the ones that had once earned a place as a featured image were no longer featured or bumped way down.  My view count info was and still is intact, however the photos missing from listings were not gaining any views (as one would expect).  While things were really messed up, at least I had my points back.  It seemed like someone at Google was working on resolving the issue because over the span of a few days more and more of my photos would reappear in listings pages.  Then, all of a sudden, I was back down to a level 3 at 154 points.  Then I gained 2 points.  Then I lost 4 points.  And currently I'm at a meager 148 (places with photos is now ZERO).  The community still has me as a level 4.  It say so in my profile and I have access to the level 4 benefits.  But now I have ZERO credit for any of my ~500 photos and NONE of them appear in listings.  ALSO, as of this past weekend, I can't even see OTHER people's photos in any listings!  So not only is my local guides participation screwed up, my use of the Google Maps app is suffering as well.  Local Guides Support said this issue is affecting other users so I'm reaching out to them here to learn more about other people's experiences.  And if support is reading this PLEASE let me know what the heck is going on and how I can help you fix this as fast as possible.

4 comments
Level 9

Re: The Mystery of the Missing Photo Points & Vanishing Listing Images

@bigmovieI agree with you 100%. It's not just you, and many other Local Guides community members have reported the same thing. It's clearly a glitch in the system and I'm sure Google is tweaking something. Like others, this is the only answer we can give you, and it's only a matter of time before we get some information.

Sorry for the loss!

Level 8

@AslamMo I appreciate your kind words but at this point Google has no excuse for the lack of communication and transparency around this issue.  They are touting this summit while tons of their loyal guides are suffering from kilos of lost points.  This is just not acceptable.  Google, you need to do something and update us.

Level 8

Hi @bigmovie,

Please check if your Points lost is due to Photo Contributions lost or other  types of Contributions.

If it is mainly Photo based, the most common reason Photos in GPhotos is no longer accessible.  This can apply when you choose Photos already in GPhotos and upload to Maps.

I usually doing extra to avoid this risk - I always upload from Folder (computer or mobile) directly to Maps.  In this way, even I remove my local copy of the source photo, it will not affect the copy uploaded to Maps.

Please explore if the above scenario apply to your case or not.

Level 8

Hi @YK1001,

I don't use Google for my photos.  Everything I've ever submitted to Google Maps has been directly from my camera roll in iOS.  I can see all of the photos I've ever contributed under the "My Contributions" section of the Google Maps app but my photo points are at ZERO, none of my photos show up in any of their listings AND I often can't see ANY photos for listings AT ALL!  I'm getting the silent treatment from Google while they publish their April Fools pac-man update.  Someone needs to take this seriously and do something or at least provide an update! @YK1001 do you know anyone who can help???