Amiran's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Support ticket number for feedback

Hi,

Currently when we send a feedback in Google Maps we have no related info about what we've done and the result of our feedback. Only about road issues we will give an email for approval.

I think if Google tag a feedback with one support ticket number and provide a system to track that ticket number and see our request message and the status of our request it can help more and can prevent from many additional and repetitive requests.

Amir | Join us on IranLocalGuides
5 comments
Level 10

Re: Support ticket number for feedback

@Amiran the current "feedback" system, particularly when it comes to roads was intended to be an interim solution, with the long term goal of incorporating Map Maker like features that would allow for direct editing and moderation of roads and the like.

It is likely much of that feedback information will be visible to end users much like it is with business/place edits today, thus eliminating the need for a "ticketing" system like you propose.

M. W. Jones -- Former Map Maker Regional Lead, United States
Level 10

Hi @MWJones, feedback is not only for road editing purposes and this part (Editing roads) has less importance to be tracked because we can see the results on the map. So I hope too, to see direct road editing tool again because that is really important specially for us that contributed in MM.

But feedback requests contain wide range of requests. Each brand has feedback center and "ticketing" system is also so common for showing the status of feedback. We should have a way to understand if our request reviewed or not. The current system of Google Maps feedback section, also tag requests with a "Request Number" but there should be a way to send that number to user and let user to see the status of request. This is so ordinary for each company.

Level 10

@Amiran I am very familiar with ticketing systems, as my day job is being an Information Technology Engineer, I deal with various ticketing systems all day long. In the case of Google, and in particular Maps, there are various teams, and various members of those teams each with varying skills. As a result, there is no way to assign an "estimated time" to most requests, as some requests by their nature requires more work, or someone with more experience. Likewise that request may require multiple teams to work on it, and the workflow is not as simple as it would seem. In the end, all you're doing is creating a comfort to the end user that their request is out there, albeit in some procedural "black hole", and couldn't really elaborate on the true status.

Granted, it would be nice to get a follow through e-mail when work was completed, I suspect that there are much higher priorities on the developers agenda prior to that.

M. W. Jones -- Former Map Maker Regional Lead, United States
Level 10

@MWJones Yeah, No need to assign "estimated time" just for example showing a "Under Review" or "Needs more work" or something alike status can be helpful. That helps user to know the request is under process or it has been resolved or something else.

Level 8

I am not sure a tracking system of all type of contributions, made via feedback, does make sense. When people give opinions or suggest ideas, a "thank you for sharing" should be enough. However, for example, in case of a bug report, it would be nice to get a response: pending, confirmed, could not be duplicated, etc.

I think we all agree that edits to Map data, should all be suggested via smart/responsive forms that result in the familiar Approved, Pending, Not Applied responses and not via a black hole.