IbanV's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Suggestions to improve maps and decreasing spam / reward abuse

Let me start by saying I'm a local guide because I like doing it.  To me, giving accurate information about my neighbourhood is important, so I take the "local" quite serious.  Earning points for entering / editing data is nice, but to me not as important as getting the facts right.  However, to mane people the rewards actually are important, sometimes even more so than the joy of improving Google Maps.  Quite often I'm confronted with the point system corrupting the actual purpose of Google Maps.  "Guides" rejecting edits without actually checking the facts just to get a silly point or posting the same picture for several locations to get lots of points with a minimum of effort.  These things make it hard on real guides who take pride in their work, because we have to report spammers and re-enter edits that were rejected for no reason what so ever.  So I have two suggestions:

1) checking data should only be available to guides level 4 (or 5) and above.  So to reach that level, a new guide needs to actually make contributions (pictures and reviews) and once he / she reached the required level, he / she has proven to be an actual guide and not a point hunter.

2) Google has algorithms to check quite some data automatically, so why not adding a simple algorithm to check if a guide entered a picture more than once (even if that was done by mistake).  Can't be too hard I guess and it would end that specific way of spamming immediately.

Just thinking out loud 😉 

5 comments
Level 8

Re: Suggestions to improve maps and decreasing spam / reward abuse

Hey buddy, 

Thanks for thinking out loud... Honestly, some of your ideas have crossed my mind.  

I also think that Google Maps should set a credibility indicator for Local Guides with contributions with consistency and quality. It's not cool when you put a lot of effort in adding a place, writting the most accurate information and taking pictures of the place from the inside and outside and then, it gets automatically rejected by an algorithm (I guess).  I know people that are discouraged of contributing  because they get a lot of rejections, the only thing I can tell them is to be patient, be specific and to do not decrease the quality.

I'd love to meet Google Maps team and address these and other issues I've seen, translations for example, we speak spanish in my home country and some words have alternate translations.

On the other hand, I think your post could be more seen if it's moved to Feedback Forum : https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/Feedback-and-Feature-Requests/bd-p/Feedback

Greetings from Dominican Republic,

Hector

------

Coordinators:

@ArielleM_ @TraciC @brittym @YanniY @Corrie @Rodrigo_P @ErmesT  @BruceDM

Former Google Contributor

Thanks for sharing your thoughts @IbanV - Google is constantly improving our database to better reflect the world, make places more discoverable for users, and also improve our internal filters to reduce low-quality content. We certainly love hearing from you all and your suggestions are always taken into consideration for future updates to the program. 

I am not available to respond on the weekend
Connect Moderator

@hectorsantillan04 I agree with your point that translation is often a domain that has 'room for improvement'. I'd wish Google would also tap more into the local language knowledge of LGs, also for the translation of categories (especially the inconsistency is striking there).

Check out LetsGuide Podcast | #LGCTM | Please always @Mention me so I see your reply
Level 8

@JanVanHaver

Definitely local language and coloquial should be taken in consideration for translations. I will take a time to write a well detailed suggestion on the feedback forum. By the way, nice profile picture.

Connect Moderator

@hectorsantillan04 even within 1 language area there can be regional variation in terminology. In my case that is between Dutch as spoken in The Netherlands and Dutch as spoken in Belgium.

The profile picture was made with a wonderful app called Bitmoji

bitmoji-20180512093716.png

Check out LetsGuide Podcast | #LGCTM | Please always @Mention me so I see your reply