MWJones's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Separate Announcements from Discussion

When I joined LocalGuidesConnect, I set up to be notified via e-mail when a new post is placed in the "News and Updates" section.

The problem is, many users love to reply with simple comments like "great", "good job" or other feedback. This creates a flood of e-mails that I (and likely others) have no interest in. Likewise, there are some threads that I have no interest in past the announcement (since I am in the United States, I'm not interested in a perk in India or elsewhere, for example), but there is no way to shut off those individual threads, only to unsubscribe from the entire section.

On another Google Product forum, it was common practice to post the announcement, and lock it from being replied to (closed thread). A second thread (open thread) would then be made a sticky in the General Discussion area that would be linked to from the announcement post. In situations like that, I could still follow the announcements, without filling my inbox, and if one is of interest to me (say the ongoing discussion on editing/adding roads for example), I could subscribe to the discussion thread to stay up to date.

Could we not implement something similar to that here?

M. W. Jones -- Former Map Maker Regional Lead, United States
1 comment
Level 10

Re: Separate Announcements from Discussion

I agree.. I notice all Announcements are posted as blogs i.e. have a pencil as an icon. However one cannot unsubscribe notifications from that type. So when people post to it, it gets out of control.

They can simply made an option for one to be able to unsubscribe from that post type.. then problem solved.