MargotG's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Seasonal Opening Hours

Hi there!

I saw a few posts already about this subject but could not find a satisfying answer so far.
My issue is simple, many business in my area in France have seasonal opening hours, and so far it is impossible to specify different set of hours for entire months.

I know it possible to set special opening hours for certain days via Listings on Google Search (see screenshot), or by claiming the listing via Google My Business.

Screen Shot 2018-01-20 at 12.18.06.png

Wouldn't it be more easy to add a 'Seasonal' or 'Exceptions' functionality? Or at least add a Month dropdown to the popin on Google Search, and show this same interface in Google Maps, it is strange that this appears only on Google Search.

I see many visitors getting frustrated and letting bad reviews on places that were closed when they shown up.
How annoying it is to find out that the nice museum you wanted to visit is closed from 16:00 instead of 19:00 as specified on Google Maps?

Follow me on Instagram and VSCO
Burgundy, France
5 comments

Accepted Solutions
Level 10
Solution

Re: Seasonal Opening Hours

Hi @MargotG

I think you should post your suggestion to Google My Business Community (https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Google-My-Business/ct-p/GMB) because that is where you will find the experts on business-related issues. 

Current Google My Business guideliness about seasonal hours are:

Seasonal hours

​If your business has seasonal hours, use the following guidelines:

• During the season in which you’re open, set hours that reflect the current season's opening hours. You may set special hours for holidays, temporary closures, or other events.
  • When your business is out of season, remove all opening hours, so they appear as unset. Set your opening hours again at the beginning of your next open season.

(from: https://support.google.com/business/answer/3038177)

The good idea for business owners is also creating a GMB post about seasonal closure: https://support.google.com/business/answer/7342169

Regards,

Jacek

Google Diamond Product Expert - Maps, Business Profile, Earth, Gmail, Accounts | Street View Trusted Photographer | Local Guide | retired: Map Maker Help Forum Top Contributor & Poland RER/RL

View solution in original post

Level 8

Hello @MargotG

This is definitely a needed feature, I hope it gets implemented soon. For the time being, I see two work-arounds:

1) Alter the openning hours thoroughly every time they change (yes, inpractical and far from perfect in avoiding confusion, but feasible and quick - the updates take usually only minutes)

2) Upload a picture of a openning hours sheet instead! That should work well as you can put exactly what you need on it (both schemes) and the visitors will be given the whole of the information.

Cordialement

Level 10

Bonjour @MargotG,

Je trouve votre remarque très pertinente. En effet c'est frustrant de ce rendre sur un lieu et que celui-ci est fermé.

Avoir un peu plus de flexibilité dans l'écriture des horaires serait vraiment nécessaire.

J'ai récemment photographié la plaque ou sont marquées ses horaires du médecin de mon village. Depuis il reçoit beaucoup moins d'appel pour savoir quand il est en consultation libre ou sur rendez-vous. Avant cela il recevait beaucoup d'appels.

Autre chose aussi qui rejoint votre remarque. Certaines enseignes ici en France ont des horaires d'ouverture différents lors des semaines paires et impaires. Et la c'est impossible de les saisir.

Level 10
Solution

Hi @MargotG

I think you should post your suggestion to Google My Business Community (https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Google-My-Business/ct-p/GMB) because that is where you will find the experts on business-related issues. 

Current Google My Business guideliness about seasonal hours are:

Seasonal hours

​If your business has seasonal hours, use the following guidelines:

• During the season in which you’re open, set hours that reflect the current season's opening hours. You may set special hours for holidays, temporary closures, or other events.
  • When your business is out of season, remove all opening hours, so they appear as unset. Set your opening hours again at the beginning of your next open season.

(from: https://support.google.com/business/answer/3038177)

The good idea for business owners is also creating a GMB post about seasonal closure: https://support.google.com/business/answer/7342169

Regards,

Jacek

Google Diamond Product Expert - Maps, Business Profile, Earth, Gmail, Accounts | Street View Trusted Photographer | Local Guide | retired: Map Maker Help Forum Top Contributor & Poland RER/RL
Level 8

Hi @JacekNK@Vvincent and @CaptainHook !

Thanks for your faster-than-light answer!

I will consult the GMB community and share my concerns there as well.

But I am sure than not all businesses or locations concerned by this issue will ever be claimed by their owner or the city they sit in.

Seasonal Opening hours can affect any categories (parts of a ski resort, a regional park... ).

@Vvincent@CaptainHook I like the idea of using a picture to update visitors but what if the places has hundreds of pictures already? The image will just get lost within the others.

Google Maps should be about accuracy and easy access to up-to-date details, not about digging through pictures or guessing opening hours from the Street view images (yeah I did that myself multiples time!) 😂
From all the data we are curating there, I believe that opening hours are the most important and relevant to potential visitors!

If it is possible right now to do so within Google My Business, why not make it accessible for edits by a Local Guide!

Follow me on Instagram and VSCO
Level 9

There is still no improvement in seasonal opening hours. This is a much-needed feature as there are so many places which change opening hours in different seasons for different reasons.

Hope this post will put the issue back on their list...