Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Re: Reporting duplicates suggestion

Level 10

Hi @JosephDewey, and thank you.

It's very useful tool, when one or more box for add short link of duplicate places.

Level 10

@SamanS Thanks! I really hope they add it. As soon as they add that, I have a ton of duplicates to report.

Level 10

Hi @JosephDewey, @LuisRG

I have read from somewhere that suggesting us to write in the review that the place is duplicate.

I usually complete it with the url of the correct place, for e.g: Duplicate of https://goo.gl/maps/3aQ9QeA3NXw

I hope by providing the url, it will helps.

Have a great weekend to you all,

Faridah from Indonesia

Level 8

@faridahf where is your imput field to put the url?!

faridahf a écrit :

Hi @JosephDewey, @LuisRG

I have read from somewhere that suggesting us to write in the review that the place is duplicate.

I usually complete it with the url of the correct place, for e.g: Duplicate of https://goo.gl/maps/3aQ9QeA3NXw

I hope by providing the url, it will helps.

Have a great weekend to you all,

Faridah from Indonesia

Swiss | Switzerland | Suisse francophone Level 8 : visitez moi Ne passez pas à coté d'un J'AIME et marquer les réponses comme solution. Android|Jean-Luc|Suisse romande|Switzerland french speaking area|Google Maps Local Guide Level 8 https://goo.gl/maps/HuzFUEBbgtt
Level 10

Hi @Lémanique

I put it in the reviews as contribution.

In our Google Maps apps, it looks like this :

Duplicate.png

But as far as I know, it won't be visible to others.

Thank you,

Faridah

Level 8

@faridahf ok. Je penses que c'est inefficace et que tu perds ton temps. Google ne va pas regarder dans les avis de la fiche.

En plus c'est pas autorisé. Et oui, si ton avis contient un url, l'avis (et la note) ne sont pas pris en compte et ni affiché.

Tu risques que plus des problèmes avec Google qui pensera que c'est du spam

Swiss | Switzerland | Suisse francophone Level 8 : visitez moi Ne passez pas à coté d'un J'AIME et marquer les réponses comme solution. Android|Jean-Luc|Suisse romande|Switzerland french speaking area|Google Maps Local Guide Level 8 https://goo.gl/maps/HuzFUEBbgtt
Level 10

@faridahf This is an excellent idea! However, I don't think I'll personally use it because I'd be worried that they'd take the review indicating the duplicate, and replace my real review with this. Plus, I think Google Maps generates a quality metric of the review, and short text plus a link would usually give a bad quality metric from almost any bot.

But even though I probably won't use it much, I hope that others do, to alert Google that duplicate reporting isn't very good. Thanks again for the suggestion!

Level 8

Sometimes, some duplicates aren't all visible or become invisible when you zoom in/zoom out from the map. 

Level 8

@JosephDewey, @LuisRG

Perhaps even a Merge function for duplicate POI markers. 

As a truck driver I encounter many instances of new business duplicate POI markers (sometimes daily) but users only care about the ones that they see first. Consequently dozens of valuable reviews and photos of a new business are spread out over several POI markers. 

If only one is retained the richness of the Google Maps experience is lost for the editing simplicity of just deleting duplicate markers. 

Of course this would require more live user input but this would be a good opportunity to automatically recontact the users who originally added all the duplicate markers and make them resolve the merge peacefully. 

The group then can award helpful collaborators an extra LG point and/or suggest revocation of belligerent or spam POI creators. 

Sorry for the long post; whenever I suggest a big idea I try to include ways to encourage it and mitigate gaming the system.