Rambler2978's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 5

Problem with Adding Photos and how to add descriptions to photos

I have seen several discussions about problems with adding photos but I'm still confused!

I visited Ashford-in-the-Water, Derbyshire, England recently, see Location below

There are already some photos for this location but I can't cannot find the button to add any more! I am using a desktop computer running Windows 7  I have been able to successfully upload photos for other locations.

Is there a limit to the number of photos which can be added to a particular location?

My oither query is that the existing photos for this location have a short description of where the photo was taken.  How do you add descriptions to photos?  I do not remember seeing any option to do that when I successfully added photos for other locations.

Any suggestions gratefully accepted!

Richard

7 comments
Level 5

Re: Problem with Adding Photos and how to add descriptions to photos

Sorry!

The Location has disappeared from my post and is:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Ashford+in+the+Water/@53.2210021,-1.7685852,13z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m...

Richard

Level 8

Hi @Rambler2978,

Please be noted that Different versions of Maps on the different platforms have different features and behaviors.

Search in Desktop got AreaSearch in Desktop got Area

For Ashford, in Desktop Maps, I got an area.  

Search in Android Maps got a PointSearch in Android Maps got a Point

But from Android Maps, the same search returned a Point.

It is the Point features in Maps that we LGs can interact with - including adding photos.

Do you have access to Android Maps?

Hi @GusMoreira, I find it funny that one version returns an area while another version returns a point for the same search.  Is this a known behavior?

Level 8

For how to add description to Photos, it also depends on the Maps version you are using.  Please share the version and the platform that you are using.

Are you looking to add description when uploading to Maps?  Or to change description of your photos already in Maps?

Former Google Contributor

Hi @YK1001,

In general, you can only contribute to places (ie. Points of Interest). As Ashford in a Water is categorizes as an area, it's not possible to contribute content to this "place"

But you if you on Google Maps app for Android you can add photos (Desktop and iOS version)

Ps. Regarding the Maps PIN, this is just how the different platform render a place/point but Ashford in a Water continue to be categorized as an Area.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages.
Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. Thank you.
Level 8

Add Photo available in Android MapsAdd Photo available in Android Maps

Hi @GusMoreira,

Thank you for reminding about Area and Point features difference.

I think Android Maps is returning a Point as Add Photo is enabled as in the screen shot.

And that what I find funny.

Level 5

Many thanks.

Each time I use Google Maps I load it from www.maps.google.com  I assume that is the latest version?  I am using a desktop computer running Windows 7.

I am trying to add my own photo to Ashford-in-the-Water and, if possible, to add a description to it.

If it is possible to do this, please can you give me step by step instructions?

Many thanks

Level 8

Hi @Rambler2978,

You are using Desktop Maps.

As I mentioned at this reply, https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/Feedback-and-Feature-Requests/Problem-with-Adding-Photos-and-h...

Desktop Maps cannot add photos to Ashford at the moment.

If you have a Android mobile phone, please try using the Maps App in the mobile.