danigamezfranco's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Getting points for updating old reviews or correcting typos

Hi all,

I think it would be a great idea to give 1 point for updating a review as that would encourage LGs to keep them updated and correct any mistakes or typos they might have.

I would even say LGs with a high level should even be able to edit reviews from other LGs as I think there are a lot of them that contain many typos and spelling/grammar errors.

What do you think? Do you also think Google Maps currently focuses too much on encouraging users to generste more data rather than better data?

1 comment
Level 8

Re: Getting points for updating old reviews or correcting typos

Hi @danigamezfranco,

Thank you for sharing your Feature Request.

I personally do not support your idea as it raises a lot of undesirable issues. Most importantly the idea to allow others to edit one's reviews. It would totally undermine the authenticity of the original by the author. 

Why do you think that high-level LG´s could be trusted to spell check? I don´t see a correlation between the necessary skills and LG levels. Would it not make more sense to have a better quality spell checker installed in the software?

@danigamezfranco wrote:

What do you think? Do you also think Google Maps currently focuses too much on encouraging users to generste more data rather than better data?

If Google would only go for quality in some cases it would take far to long to fill the missing data. The Trusted street-view photographer program is a good example. Before it was way more difficult to get accredited and there were simply not enough Street-View photographers to do the work. I guess partly also because those professionals would only go to paying customers. Now the doors are open to everyone with a good mobile phone to create 360 panoramas. So yes, quality has been compromised, but how else would Google source the desired 360 photos at the desired speed?

When it comes to other photo contributions, I do feel that Google gets the balance wrong at the moment. There are plenty of POIs that already have enough high-quality photos attached to them, yet the system allows people to keep adding poor photos to them, diluting the user experience in the process.

With kind regards, JeroenM