ChuckC's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 1

Entering Information for a New Development in New Hampshire USA

Hi I'm not sure if this is the right forum to ask this question...please forgive me if it isn't and direct me to the appropriate place.

I live in a brand new development in Greenland, NH (USA).   Up until about two years ago, this development was a 9-hole golf course that a developer bought and is building (73) houses on it.  It has new streets and new addresses that are not in any mapping database anywhere.  I'm trying to figure out how to get our streets and addresses into Google Maps and other mapping applications.

I asked the builder and he told me "that's a town responsibility".  I went to the Town Clerk and discovered that what he told me is only partially correct.  The town has a legal requirement to update mapping data with a state agency in NH that is responsible for emergency communications.  The town told me that they submitted our mapping data to the state over a year ago.  I called the state agency and they confirmed that they did receive the data but told me that the data is restricted to state and local governments who need it for official 911 emergency communications purposes and they're not allowed to give it to anyone else.

It looks to me that there is no formal and official way of updating street and address data in Google Maps and Google completely relies on individual contributors to do that.  Is that correct?  How does someone go about doing that?  It's difficult enough to add individual house addresses on a street but the streets aren't even there and have to be drawn in.

Can someone please point me in the right direction to unravel this mystery?

Thanks,

Greenland, NH, United States
3 comments
Level 8

Re: Entering Information for a New Development in New Hampshire USA

From my understanding general public can't add road at the moment. There use to be an application called map maker that would allow you to do this but that has been discontinued. Google have been adding some of features that were in map maker to Google maps such as is a road one way or two way. I believe that in the future adding a road will be added into maps. In the short term you can add a place with the name of the development in maps. By dropping a pin and scrolling down to add a missing bussiness. 

Level 1

@StuartM wrote:

From my understanding general public can't add road at the moment. There use to be an application called map maker that would allow you to do this but that has been discontinued. Google have been adding some of features that were in map maker to Google maps such as is a road one way or two way. I believe that in the future adding a road will be added into maps. In the short term you can add a place with the name of the development in maps. By dropping a pin and scrolling down to add a missing bussiness. 

@StuartM wrote:

Thanks for your response.  If the general public can't add a road, who can?  Is there no way to do that?

@StuartM wrote:

Level 9
Level 9

You can report any missing streets as below but it may take some time especially if your area doesn't yet show on aerial photography 

In the desktop version open the map at the desired location
Click the hamburger icon ☰
Click Send feedback
Click Other feedback
Describe your issue or share your ideas
Add a screenshot as directed