WetCoastCanuck's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

An easy but questionable way to inflate one's contributions? 37,051 points!

I came across <LINK TO CONTRIBUTIONS PROFILE REMOVED> while browsing my local Apple Store. If you look at his profile, you will notice he posts generic items so for Apple Store, MacBooks, iPhones on Apple Store docks etc. However the pictures are generic enough, he will post the same pictures to all the branches of Apple Stores. Same for USPS items he will post the pictures at post offices around the country! or He must love visiting all the post office in the US and have the skill to replicate the same pictures over the over again 😉

I think reusing the same photos are allowed currently, but this is a bit of an extreme example.. However I do applaud the time he had spent posting the same pictures over and over again!!

I wonder if Google's photo submission algorithm should at least take into account of the EXIF location info. It might be worth while to flag pictures that are geotagged when they are say over 50miles from where they are taken.

4 comments
Level 10

Re: An easy but questionable way to inflate one's contributions? 37,051 points!

@WetCoastCanuck What an example, he is doing a good job, but the only issue is he is using only the same image. It does not reflect actual location photos of POI.

Former Google Contributor

Hi @WetCoastCanuck, thank you for reporting a Maps misuser. I have, however, removed the link to their contributions profile due to various privacy reasons. How Do I Report Content on Google Maps? contains some useful how-to's on reporting inappropriate conduct on Maps. We'll be looking into this user's contributions - we will not be able to share the results of our investigation but will take action if necessary. 

Regarding your feedback about photo contributions on Maps, we always encourage you to share it with the team by sending a feedback in-app. 🙂

New to Connect? Check out Help Desk! Always keep in mind the Local Guides program rules when posting.

Level 10

That's the thing. I am not sure what he is doing is agains the spirit of the Google rules?

Does the Google team wants to be inundated with questions like this? I know Google employee's pay package is generous, they must pay you guys do more immediate things? 

Level 8

That's a cheat sheet haha @WetCoastCanuck even if there are no current  rules about that kind of misuse, at least I don't think there is...it's not right. Many local guides put in alot of time and energy taking pictures of each individual place to contribute to Google maps to reflect real experiences. The same generic photo is the ultimate cheat, while it was innovative of him to find that loop hole, it doesn't make it right. 

Thank you for sharing your findings! 🙂