JensB's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 4

Adding cycling and hiking trails post Map Maker

With Map Maker no longer available how can we add walking and hiking trails... or even scenic drives?

If that functionality isn't currently available, does anyone know if / where it is on the product roadmap.

Thanks.

2 comments
Level 10

Re: Adding cycling and hiking trails post Map Maker

Hi @JensB

Currently there is only the possibility to send feedback about existing road features and in a very limited way (I guess when it is obvious) report roads/trails that are missing. Hiking and bicycle trails are not very obvious by looking at a satellite imagery so I suppose currently it is impossible to add them. If you visit the send feedback part of maps, you will see that the roads are already clickable. I guess (hope) this is an indication of more advanced vector editing coming some time in the (near?) future. 

Now as for road maps, Google has always been very opaque with such. They never pre-announce new features (maybe sometimes only to some select beta testers under NDA) so we won't know exactly when better editing will appear. 

Edit: here is the post about the new "edit road segments" feature: 

https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/News-Updates/Exclusive-Edit-a-road-segment-in-Google-Maps/ba-p...

Note that it's not really "editing" but reporting issues.

Level 9
Level 9

Re: Adding cycling and hiking trails post Map Maker

@JensB wrote:

With Map Maker no longer available how can we add walking and hiking trails... or even scenic drives?

Walking trails are just roads without traffic and would be added in the same way. Zoom in the map so you can see the path in satellite/earth view, click 'Send feedback', click 'Report missing road'. In the notes you can give further details explaining, for example, that no traffic is allowed