PeteMHW's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Icelandic Saga 2024

Caption: A picture of  The Sun Voyager on Reykjavik Harbourside, with the words My Iceland Saga 2024 superimposedCaption: A picture of The Sun Voyager on Reykjavik Harbourside, with the words My Iceland Saga 2024 superimposed

It's been a long held "bucket list" item to visit Iceland over the Winter period, to see the delights that The Land of Fire and Ice has to offer.  It did indeed have so much to offer, but I can only give some highlights to encourage you to visit too.

Although we didn't see The Northern Lights, as we had hoped (they just weren't doing their thing the time we were there), we did see plenty of fire, ice and thermal hot water springs. We spent time in the beautiful capital, Reykjavik (meaning Smokey Bay), and took some longer distance tours into the more rural and remote parts.

Caption: The Althing. The meeting place of the world's oldest continuous democratic parliament. Originally tribal leaders met here. And it eventually became the meeting place for the Icelandic Government before it moved its affairs to the capital.Caption: The Althing. The meeting place of the world's oldest continuous democratic parliament. Originally tribal leaders met here. And it eventually became the meeting place for the Icelandic Government before it moved its affairs to the capital.

Caption: Adjacent to the Althing is this fissure in the rocks (which you can in places walk in)  - it's the crack between the Eurasian and American tectonic plates, as they pull apart 2cm per year.Caption: Adjacent to the Althing is this fissure in the rocks (which you can in places walk in) - it's the crack between the Eurasian and American tectonic plates, as they pull apart 2cm per year.

A short distance from the tectonic plate divide and the Althing, geothermal activity pushes water to the surface regularly - hot water springs and geysers being amongst the most amazing.  Here's an actual geyser at Geyser, from where all geysers get their name.

And very near to it, there are the spectacular Gullfoss waterfalls - what power and beauty!

And we went bathing in lagoons filled with geothermally heated hot water - the video shows the springs pouring water at 100+ degrees C, but they fed a lagoon of water pleasantly body temperature.

And here's me, beside the pool where I had spent a pleasant 90 minutes...

Caption: here is me, wrapped up to keep warm, after  90 minutes bathing in the lagoon heated by geothermal springs. Air temperature about 2C, water temperature 38C.Caption: here is me, wrapped up to keep warm, after 90 minutes bathing in the lagoon heated by geothermal springs. Air temperature about 2C, water temperature 38C.

But it wasn't all cold weather, icy hills and hot springs - we also had some lovely traditional Icelandic lamb soup served in a bowl made of bread!

Caption: traditional lamb soup served in a bowl made of bread.Caption: traditional lamb soup served in a bowl made of bread.

But we sometimes had much more upmarket meals!

Caption: a meal out at the excellent Sumac restaurant in Reykjavik city centre.Caption: a meal out at the excellent Sumac restaurant in Reykjavik city centre.

We went whale watching...

Caption: a humpback whale comes to the surface to breath before its dive - whilst we were out on a boat on a guided whale-watch in Reykjavik bay.Caption: a humpback whale comes to the surface to breath before its dive - whilst we were out on a boat on a guided whale-watch in Reykjavik bay.

We took a minibus safari into the wilds of the Snaefellsnes peninsula, where Iceland lived up to its name, with glaciers, snow drifts, blinding sleet, huge waves and good company with our guide who had once been an international handball player for Iceland.

Caption: A panorama shot of the snowfields on Snaefellness  (meaning Snow Hill Peninsula) which dramatically lived up to its name.Caption: A panorama shot of the snowfields on Snaefellness (meaning Snow Hill Peninsula) which dramatically lived up to its name.

But we still found a hot water pool to bath our feet - warm feet, cold body!

Caption: even in the snow fields, we found thermal springs to warm our feet.Caption: even in the snow fields, we found thermal springs to warm our feet.

But it wasn't all wild adventures.  We spent a couple of days in the city, where I'd recommend a visit to The Iceland Experience at The Perlan Centre - (website here). It's a superb exhibition centre with Northern Lights Planetarium, an ice cave (real ice) a geological history of Iceland - and a magnificent revolving coffee shop/restaurant in the dome at the top - we spent about 90 minutes with a coffee and cake, went round once, and got a 360degree view of the entire area.

Caption: we didn't get to see The Northern Lights - but the presentation in the Planetarium was the next best thing.Caption: we didn't get to see The Northern Lights - but the presentation in the Planetarium was the next best thing.

More pictures of Perlan...

Caption: Perlan sits on a hill on the outskirts of the city. From the revolving coffee shop you get a spectacular view of the whole area in about 90 mins.Caption: Perlan sits on a hill on the outskirts of the city. From the revolving coffee shop you get a spectacular view of the whole area in about 90 mins.

We also explored around the city, with visit the House of Parliament, adjacent to City Hall, and the national cathedral which is very small.  There's a brilliant huge relief map of the whole of Iceland in City Hall (Radhus) lobby.  Well worth a visit.  

Caption: A panorama shot of (centre) The House of Parliament (new home of the Althing), the national cathedral on the left, and the City Hall on the right.Caption: A panorama shot of (centre) The House of Parliament (new home of the Althing), the national cathedral on the left, and the City Hall on the right.

The city reflects its own growing history with an ancient area, and many modern parts. The oldest house in the city is now a museum - and in a tardis like way (for Doctor Who fans) the entrance to the oldest and possibly smallest house gives way to a massive and extremely interesting museum beneath the streets, where Viking long houses have been excavated archaeologically.

Caption: Reykjavik's oldest house is now a museum for Icelandic  folk history, and gives way to a huge underground complex with an excavated long house from Viking days.Caption: Reykjavik's oldest house is now a museum for Icelandic folk history, and gives way to a huge underground complex with an excavated long house from Viking days.

Reflecting Iceland's strong and unwavering support for inclusivity, we find the famous Rainbow Street (which was painted for Pride but kept for ever because people liked it and the principles it stands for.)  The Rainbow Street leads directly up the hill to Iceland's tallest building and largest church - the inside of which reflects, perhaps the ribcage of a whale, dwelling on Iceland's traditional trade - now happily being re-thought. It is probably Reykjavik's most recognised landmark, the modern Hallgrimskirkja

Caption: Rainbow Street reflects Iceland's attitude to inclusivity.Caption: Rainbow Street reflects Iceland's attitude to inclusivity.Caption: Rainbow Street leads directly to Hallgrimskirkja - Reykjavik's iconic modern church.Caption: Rainbow Street leads directly to Hallgrimskirkja - Reykjavik's iconic modern church.

But finally, as if to confirm its reputation of Land of Fire and Ice (we'd seen plenty of the latter) a volcanic fissure opened up in the rocks while we were there. Access to it was barred, but as we flew out of Reykjavik on the way home, we could just catch a glimpse of it from the plane windows as we rose above the beautiful island.  In the video below, you can just see the strip pf fire, but the black lava flow threatening nearby villages is obvious in its extent.

So all in all, an excellent Icelandic Saga - and It's sparked the desire to visit again, and again. There is so much more I could show you and tell you about, but I hope my post gives you a bit of the flavour. When I've edited my photo album, I may well link to that to show you more - but the better way to see more would be to book a trip: if you're going in March (or any time in Winter) I'd recommend, in fact thoroughly recommend, taking all your thermal underwear - the average temperature was about 4C, with much colder nights, but the warmth of the welcome was just superb.

And if there are any Icelandic Local Guides, I'd love you to comment in the boxes below and maybe we can talk a lot more about your lovely country.

12 comments
Level 7

Re: Icelandic Saga 2024

Reserved - I might put a link to my photo album here in due course.

Connect Moderator

A great post and great photos and videos which brought back memories @PeteMHW. I will add a photo when I get a moment. I've now added a couple of photos from my last trip to Iceland. The photo of the Hallgrímskirkja cathedral shows how big it really is.

Caption: The beautiful stainless steel Sólfar, Sun Voyager sculpture in Reykjavik, IcelandCaption: The beautiful stainless steel Sólfar, Sun Voyager sculpture in Reykjavik, Iceland

Caption: Hallgrímskirkja, the cathedral in the very center of Reykjavik, and also the second tallest building in IcelandCaption: Hallgrímskirkja, the cathedral in the very center of Reykjavik, and also the second tallest building in Iceland

Leaderboards of Top 100 Local Guides from over 100 different countries!!!
Level 8

Really superb post @PeteMHW i have just seen your post, it superb narrated, every picture is lively....... for me in India, here ongoing festival of colors "Holi" & your post given beutiful morning refresh..... thank you very much for sharing with us 🙏🤝

shailendraOjha

▶️
GoogleGuide_shailen13

Level 9

Betreff: Icelandic Saga 2024

@PeteMHW es ist ein fantastischer und interessanter Bericht über Island und die Bilder, Videos ergänzen dass ganze hervorragend.

Kürzlich wurde bei uns über die Lavaausbrüche berichtet, die eine kleine Stadt bedrohen, aber diese Naturschauspiele sind beeindruckend.

Level 7

Hi @Annaelisa and thanks for your lovely comments. We did see the red sky on the first night that the volcano started. And on our flight home we saw a tiny bit of it from the plane window. Perhaps, now you’ve mentioned it, I’ll edit my post and put the video of that at the end. Thanks 

Level 9

@PeteMHW 

Gerne und diese Lava aus der Erdspalte ist schon sehr bedrohlich 

Connect Moderator

@PeteMHW What a lovely post!! Colour me green with envy!! Iceland is also on my bucket list and I almost got to tick it off in 2020 when.. well things changed for us all then! Anyway, your trip looks amazing and I'm so glad that you got to experience it all with the missus! 😊

#EuroMeetup2024 - Join us in Manchester, UK from June 6th to 9th 2024
      Go Loco Guides - The unofficial YouTube channel for Local Guides! Check us out and subscribe
      Connect Writing Challenge - Simple strategies to write engaging posts on Connect
      How to Write Reviews - Easy to remember tips on writing structured reviews
Level 7

Two great photos from a different angle from mine @AdamGT and the second one certainly gives a better impression of the sheer size of the Hallsgrimskirkja than mine!  I really enjoyed my Iceland experience, and so glad you found the same.  I'd love to return!

Level 7

Thank you @ShailendraOjha    I'd love to hear more of you Holi experiences - I have heard vaguely but I'd love detail of what seems like a really colourful and important celebration.