YK1001's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

What is the typical address format in your region?

Maps supports multiple languages while at the same time, when entering Addresses in Maps, it is a free text field.

Thus it is amazing Maps can decode the address correctly (more often than not) for so many different langues and different formats.

My questions is:  what is the typical format of a full address?  In your local language and in English for your local region.

(Let's use Complex examples.  Thus as multi-building grounds and multi-tenant and multi-storey  buildings.

For example, in Taiwan:

(This is a frictional address, but the formats are real, and typical for Urban area as Taipei.)

(Actually we also use Digits instead of Chinese equivalent numbers)

110台北市信義區大道路二段二十五巷七弄八之二號十六之三樓八室.

The official translation service provided by the Taiwan Post Office give the English version as below:

Rm. 8, 16F.-3, No.8-2, Aly. 7, Ln. 25, Sec. 2, Dadao Rd., Sinyi Dist., Taipei City 110, Taiwan (R.O.C.)

This is how to read the address:

Rm. 8 -  the room labelled/numbered 8 八室

16F-3 - Part 3 of 16th Floor.  Ground Level is 1st Floor in Taiwan. 十六之三樓

No. 8-2 - Part 2 of Street Number 8 八之二號

Aly. 7 -  Alley 7 七弄

Ln. 25 -  Lane 25 二十五巷

Sec. 2, Dadao Rd -  the section 2 of  Dadao Road 大道路二段

Sinyi Dist. -  District called Sinyi 信義區

Taipei City -  Name of City 台北市

110 -  Postal Code

Taiwan -  common name of "Country" 

(R.O.C.) -  Initial of "Country"

The Road/Street+Section, Lane/Alley/Sub-Alley system is new to me, as Hong Kong's system is much more linear.

Then the question:

What is the correct format of address to be entered into Maps' address field, so that it will be decoded correctly?  In English and in Local Language.

I asked because I find Maps are omitting parts of the full address I entered (floor and beyond) for places in Taiwan.

https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/Mapping-Your-World/Why-Floor-Level-number-is-being-removed-aft...

18 comments
Level 8

Re: What is the typical address format in your region?

Hi @YK1001,

In Canada, we mainly use the same system as all North-American country.

In example : 

10-2442 Wilfrid-Hamel Boulevard.

So, "appartement/local-civic number" "Street name (boulevard, street, avenue, road)".

You can also see some 10-2442A or 10-2442 ½ wich mean that there are two adress on the same building, A/B/½ is this kind of indicator.

Cheers, Marc-André Beauchamp -- Google Top Contributor / Level 5 / Regional Leads / Google Ambassador
Level 8

Hi @Marc-AndréB,

Thank you very much for your reply.

@Marc-AndréB wrote:

Hi @YK1001,

In Canada, we mainly use the same system as all North-American country.

In example : 

10-2442 Wilfrid-Hamel Boulevard.

So, "appartement/local-civic number" "Street name (boulevard, street, avenue, road)".

You can also see some 10-2442A or 10-2442 ½ wich mean that there are two adress on the same building, A/B/½ is this kind of indicator.

Can I consider 2442 as Street Number?  So when it is sub-divided into two "building", then it becomes 2442 1/2, 2442 2/2, etc.?

If we need to add a POI having 10-2442 1/2 Street Name into Maps (using Maps), which will be the correct (exact to be better) address string to be input?  Are special characters include '-', '/'?

ps.  I read from the forums that one notable region in NA is not using this format.  

Connect Moderator

Very helpful post.... 

But a see a regular problem with address at the aadding time of any place... 

10/B T Tower,Mosque Road,Naya paltan, Dhaka,1000 This is the right address I think....  

But when I submit this on maps Its recived..  only Mosque road,Dhaka....

Why this happened.... 

otherwise 

There R various street address in Bangladesh...  

Example..  65/2/1 Paramount Heights which is my office addres... 

30/1/A...  which means This address Divided into 3 or 4  Address  ....... m i right...?

Level 8

Hi @ShafiulB,

First, please give us your address in English, that is written in a typical way, for your region.  (Use a complex example.)

Then we ask what is the correct strings to be used when adding / editing that place using Maps (when using English as display and input language).

Level 9

18-A/2, Rahmatunnesa Villa, Uposhohor, Rajshahi Cantonment, Rajshahi-6202

Here,

18-A/2 - Number of the House

Rahmatunnesa Villa - Name of the House

Uposhohor - Locally Known Area Name
Rajshahi Cantonment - Post Office Name

Rajshahi-6202 - Post Office Code

Level 8

Yes, 2442 is the civic number, so, basicaly, the number of the house.
Yes, - is accepted as a part of the address field, but / no, you need to use ½ as a caracter.

For Canada, this is the formulation, but other are also accepted.
Cheers, Marc-André Beauchamp -- Google Top Contributor / Level 5 / Regional Leads / Google Ambassador
Connect Moderator

Using a "1/2" in Canada (and the US) is very rare, as the entire idea behind assigning a range of 100 possible numbers to each short block is that the normal spacing of buildings will end up with a sizable number gap between them.  It would take 50 buildings on each side of the road to use up all the numbers, which is more crowded than roads ever get.  Even if you squeeze a building between 1442 and 1456 you can give it any of the numbers between those two.

It is incorrect to say other formats are accepted.  There is only one proper format in Canada.  If you do not follow it, the post office will try it's best to deliver the mail, but that does not mean other formats are thus acceptable.

And yes, this is for just Canada, not the US.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 7

I recently discovered an issue with long addresses in Singapore; they get truncated when the Place is added even when the full address is painstakingly entered as per the below example.

Screenshot_2017-01-18-05-38-09.jpg

The address should read:

1 Jurong East Street 21 #02-13 Tower A Ng Teng Fong General Hospital Singapore 609606.

A Lost Sheep in Delhi
https://lostsheepdelhi.wordpress.com
Connect Moderator

Maps is not set up to accept a format that has both the address and then a description such as the mall or hospital.  It will only accept the street address, please only use that.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages