LuisRG's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Google Contributor

Tip: How to Use the Location Field

It's great to see all the activity that Connect is having, we love that you love it!

Today's tip is about how to best use the Location setting (below the message text box when you write a post or reply).

This field is meant to facilitate the search for location-specific information. For instance, I posted about a Barcelona My Map that we created with the help of the community there. In this case, it makes sense to add "Barcelona" as the Location (even if I was writing from London), because that way, next time somebody uses the search box to find interesting content about Barcelona, this post will surface.

maps.png

As you can see, somebody answered from Bangladesh and added his location, but in that case, that location was not needed and it could lead to confusion if somebody searches for Bangladesh and ends up reading a post with a Barcelona My Map.

So remember, use the Location whenever you're asking for tips about a specific place, trying to meet other people in your area, or whenever you're posting pictures that have some local meaning.

Hope this helps!

Local Guides Community Program Manager
Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. Thank you.
2 comments
Level 10

Re: Tip: How to Use the Location Field

Thank you so much @LuisRG for your advice about writing in Location Field in every post.

LG Summit Attendee in 2016 ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️ Regional Lead before 2017
Level 2

Re: Tip: How to Use the Location Field

Nice writeup! This provides in clear detail, an actual example regarding precisely HOW to post pictures on location, WHEN to use this section for posting pictures, and WHY images posted here would be relevant to locals. Your reference of WHEN/WHAT NOT to link or post from is a thorough counter-example. Simple but excellent writing sans frills! Thank YOU!

***Bonus:  Concise conclusion summarizing 3 main reasons to post using Location: seeking advice, schedule a meet-up, or relevancy for locality. ***

KD - Google Author, Mapmaker, and Local Guide