MahabubMunna's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

"Mangal Shobhajatra " মঙ্গল শোভাযাত্রা 1424 Bengali New Year Celebration

"Mangal Shobhajatra or Mangal Shovajatra (Bengali: মঙ্গল শোভাযাত্রা) is a mass procession that takes place at dawn on the first day of the Bengali New Year in Bangladesh. The procession is organised by the teachers and students of the Faculty of Fine Arts of Dhaka University.The festival is considered an expression of the secular identity of the Bangladeshi people and as a way to promote unity. It was declared an intangible cultural heritage by UNESCO in 2016, categorized on the representative list as a heritage of humanity.boisakh 6.jpg

The procession of the festival was first observed in 1989, when the autocratic ruler Hussain Muhammad Ershad was the president of the country. He became the president of the country through a bloodless coup d'état.

At that time, the country was under a military dictatorship and was suffering from floods. A mass uprising took place in Dhaka during which many people, including Noor Hossain, died. The students of the Dhaka University Faculty of Fine Arts decided to demonstrate against the regime by arranging the Mangal Shobhajatra on Pohela Boishakhboisakh 4.jpg

UNESCO recognition

In 2014 the Bangla Academy compiled a nomination file that was approved by the Ministry of Cultural Affairs of Bangladesh and submitted to UNESCO. On 30 November 2016 the Mangal Shobhajatra festival was selected as an intangible cultural heritage by the Inter-governmental Committee on Safeguarding Intangible Cultural Heritage of UNESCO at its 11th session, which was held in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.boisakh 8.jpg

boisakh 1.jpg

boisakh 2.jpg

boisakh 3.jpg

Information: WIki

Photos : BD news 24 

Mahabub Hasan
Dhaka University, Dhaka, Bangladesh
11 comments
Level 8

Re: "Mangal Shobhajatra " মঙ্গল শোভাযাত্রা 1424 Bengali New Year Celebration

@MahabubMunna vaia I was there. Such a great tour there. I really enjoyed this day. Lots of people gathered and walk for humanity.

Level 10

@SajolKDas আজকের পিক শেয়ার দেও নাই কে ??? 

Mahabub Hasan
Level 8

Hii @MahabubMunna @SajolKDas

It looks like a Great Day for You

Happy New Year all of you

Thanks for sharing this information & photos.

Level 10

@Umashankar thanks bro . wait for see your one too 

Mahabub Hasan
Level 8

Thanks to Share all of these I really missed it and you all together..

Hope next time Inshallah meet with you all @MahabubMunna @Umashankar @SajolKDas and many more

Connect Moderator

That's a nice write up @MahabubMunna

I didn't know that the procession was recognized by UNESCO as Intangible Cultural Heritage. I learned something new from you today. An additional bunch of thanks to you for that. 🙂

Level 10

@SoniaK aita ki sonailen 😜

Mahabub Hasan
Connect Moderator

@MahabubMunna.... seriously! Sorry for disappointing you. I knew we got international recognition from UN bodies, but I did not know the term called 'Intangible Cultural Heritage'. Sorry for the lack of my knowledge. 

Level 10

@SoniaK দেখার কোন বয়স নাই সেখার কোন বয়স নাই  🙂 

Mahabub Hasan