AntanO's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

World’s tallest walking Buddha’s statue in Sri Lanka

Sometimes the most significant place could be unnoticed. The Ranawana Purana Rajamaha Viharaya (temple) or Ranawana Royal Temple in Pilimathalawa, Kandy, Sri Lanka is one the unnoticed places. But, it has world’s tallest walking Buddha’s statue. The 80-foot tall statue was inaugurated in February 14, 2014.

The temple is located on a mountain area, a clam place. The place has more statues along the famous Buddha’s statue. Other statues describe the life of Buddha and earlier stories of Buddhism.  Usually, people who plan to travel in Kandy could select Temple of the tooth and Peradeniya Botanical garden. But, Pilimathalawa has treasure.

Entrance to the templeEntrance to the temple

Small statues of Buddha’s disciple or monksSmall statues of Buddha’s disciple or monks

Sleeping BuddhaSleeping Buddha

Buddha sacrifices his head – earlier of life of BuddhaBuddha sacrifices his head – earlier of life of Buddha

Followers of BuddhaFollowers of Buddha

A scene from in front Buddha’s statueA scene from in front Buddha’s statue

World’s tallest walking Buddha’s statueWorld’s tallest walking Buddha’s statue

Plaque with detailsPlaque with details

Bust of 80-foot tall Buddha’s statueBust of 80-foot tall Buddha’s statue

Ranawana Royal Temple, Ranawana Temple Road, Pilimathalawa, Sri Lanka
13 comments
Level 8

Re: World’s tallest walking Buddha’s statue in Sri Lanka

@AnuradhaP, have you been there? @IlankovanT, I was referring this place and you could stop here next time when you travel to Kandy.

Level 9

@AntanO amazing. I didn't aware about this tallest walking Buddha's statue. Surely I will visit when I travel knady next time. Thanks for sharing this beautiful photos. 

Level 10

@AntanO I do not know this place. It is a recently built one I think.

Level 8

Yes, it was inaugurated in February 14, 2014.

Level 9

@MahabubMunna check this. you make like this.

Level 6

Hi, this is not a buddhist culture. Its new idea.

In buddhist culture buddha statues have 04  way. 1. Standing ( with  diffrerent mudra (hand signs)). 2. Sitting (different mudra) 3. Sleeping and 4 dead position or reclaimbing.

This is chalenge to the history.  Do you know all buddha statue are young features. Even dead position the history says buddha died in 80 years. No old features. That is culture. There have more and more things to consider before do anything.  All this are NGO money and NGO Works. Dont promote places like this please.

Level 8

@UpulW wrote:

Hi, this is not a buddhist culture. Its new idea.

In buddhist culture buddha statues have 04  way. 1. Standing ( with  diffrerent mudra (hand signs)). 2. Sitting (different mudra) 3. Sleeping and 4 dead position or reclaimbing.

This is chalenge to the history.  Do you know all buddha statue are young features. Even dead position the history says buddha died in 80 years. No old features. That is culture. There have more and more things to consider before do anything.  All this are NGO money and NGO Works. Dont promote places like this please.

This is an inappropriate comment without facts. 

Level 10

@AntanO @UpulW is expressing his view. Even when you write about archaeological things it is an interpretation what happened in the past. It may be your interpretation or someone else interpretation. No one knows what exactly happened in the past. We have to respect others views and appreciate what others do. Even all the written documents are biased.

@UpulW  People are doing this purely on their beliefs. You should respect that. 

By the way, this is my view. 🙂 

Level 8

First of all, you should understand that what post says. This is not about religion, culture, archaeology or politics. This is about world’s tallest walking Buddha statue under “Travel and Advice” category. You can’t say “don’t promote places like this” unless I breach the ToS of LGC. If you disagree with statues or condemn NGO or whatever, you may approach the temple. Their official website is here. BTW, the statue was inaugurated by Namal Rajapaksa and recently President Maithripala Sirisena visited there. Do you say they spoil the culture and link to NGO?

If you try to comment by off topic, I would give some questions to you and you need don’t reply me as I know the facts and figures. Do you know Buddha statues in Far East have features like far eastern people like tiny eyes, and some other Buddha statues has mustache. You may find more Physical characteristics of the Buddha and these all could be new to many Sri Lankan. I am here to share the ideas as per the ToS of LGC. If you want to go for off topic, I welcome to Wikipedia, where I can response as veteran Wikipedian.