BishowvijayaP's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Re: Which animal in your country do you love the most?

Mine has to be Rhinos

Male white rhino_1429115429883_16820161_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

Level 8

In Kenya we have several animals, but I like the lion

Victor Ochieng' Odongo
Level 4

I have to say, my favorite animal will always be the dog! 

IMG_20161223_173740.jpg

But as a french, I also have to mention the Gallic rooster, the symbol of the french people, because as we say "it is the only animal that can still sing while standing both feet in the sh*t..."

Level 8

Re: Which animal in your country you love the most?

YEAH! that's cool!

@HenriqueG wrote:

@BishowvijayaP wrote:

Hello @HenriqueBG, is the rodent equal in size with cat? This rodent seems too big in my eyes. This is also new one for me.

Yeah, it's cute haha

And it is actually dog sized 😛

o-CAPYBARA-HUGS-CAT-facebook

Level 8

20150410_145129.jpg

Level 8

Hi everyone,

Living on the Canary Islands, one would maybe expect me to name the canary bird as my animal. But then the bird was named after the islands and the islands were named after dogs, which brings me to my favourite animal: my own adopted dog Berto.

Berto hunting mice or lizzards.Berto hunting mice or lizzards.

Quote from Wikipedia in relation to why the Canary Islands are so called:

The name Islas Canarias is likely derived from the Latin name Canariae Insulae, meaning "Islands of the Dogs", a name applied originally only to Gran Canaria. According to the historian Pliny the Elder, the Mauretanian king Juba II named the island Canaria because it contained "vast multitudes of dogs of very large size".[21]

Another speculation is that the so-called dogs were actually a species of monk seal (canis marinus or "sea dog" was a Latin term for "seal"[22]), critically endangered and no longer present in the Canary Islands.[23] The dense population of seals may have been the characteristic that most struck the few ancient Romans who established contact with these islands by sea.

Alternatively, it is said that the original inhabitants of the island, Guanches, used to worship dogs, mummified them and treated dogs generally as holy animals.[24] The ancient Greeks also knew about a people, living far to the west, who are the "dog-headed ones", who worshipped dogs on an island.[24] Some hypothesize that the Canary Islands dog-worship and the ancient Egyptian cult of the dog-headed god, Anubis are closely connected[25] but there is no explanation given as to which one was first.

Other theories speculate that the name comes from the Nukkari Berber tribe living in the Moroccan Atlas, named in Roman sources as Canarii, though Pliny again mentions the relation of this term with dogs.[citation needed]

The connection to dogs is retained in their depiction on the islands' coat-of-arms (shown above).

It is considered that the aborigines of Gran Canaria called themselves "Canarii". It is possible that after being conquered, this name was used in plural in Spanish i.e. -as to refer to all of the islands as the Canarii-as

What is certain is that the name of the islands does not derive from the canary bird; rather, the birds are named after the islands.

Level 8

@BishowvijayaP  exactly ❤️ 

Camel milk is a staple food of desert nomad tribes and is sometimes considered a meal in and of itself; a nomad can live on only camel milk for almost a month.Camel milk is rich in vitamins, minerals, proteins, and immunoglobulins; compared to cow's milk, it is lower in fat and lactose, and higher in potassium, iron, and vitamin C. Bedouins believe the curative powers of camel milk are enhanced if the camel's diet consists of certain desert plants. Camel milk can readily be made into a drinkable yogurt, as well as butter or cheese, though the yields for cheese tend to be low.

Farhat Ahmed
Level 3

my favourite, and only found in my country has to be the haggis. 

Level 8

@ClairD in my cantry is  " عصبان "   😛 i love it ❤️  

Farhat Ahmed
Level 8

@BishowvijayaP : My Photo with campls hhhhhhhhhhhhhhh 😛 😛 😛 ( 8 years ) 2009 hhhh  Do not laugh  hhhh 😜

602902_190650597746833_1798162415_n.jpg

Farhat Ahmed