GillianC's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Re: Where to swim with sharks in Australia - on purpose!

Ah of course @Teejai!!! I have also been diving and snorkelling with the reef sharks in the GBR. How could I forget! Such a beautiful part of Australia that is unfortunately being destroyed far too quickly 😞  And yes - it's those jellyfish that are the real ones to fear in the ocean! 

@Teejai wrote:

@GillianC  You forgot the easiest and probably most common place to swim with sharks. The great barrier reef! Generally you are pretty unlucky if you go to the outer reefs and not see at least reef shark. Just recently I went out snorkeling and swam with a black tip reef shark. Up here off Cairns you get to see a large array of sharks, we also get visit's from the whale sharks, although these are rare.  You do have to suit up for the irukandji, box and all the other jelly fish though. 🙂

Level 8

The bleaching isn't as bad as what the media make out. Most of it is "fairly normal" from cyclones etc and it is re-growing well. I was lucky to go out with the lead marine Biologist for JCU uni and she explained heaps I didn't know.  The bleaching is amazing to see in person though. It's soooooooo much brighter than the other coral and it nearly looks like it is glowing. That was on a cloudy, overcast day as well. 

Level 7

That's great to hear @Teejai . Unless you're really 'on the ground' up there, all we can rely on is the media to tell us what's happening. We know from this shark story that they don't always report the facts (just the attention grabbing headlines). Might need to make another trip up to the GBR soon to check it out for myself 🙂

@Teejai wrote:

The bleaching isn't as bad as what the media make out. Most of it is "fairly normal" from cyclones etc and it is re-growing well. I was lucky to go out with the lead marine Biologist for JCU uni and she explained heaps I didn't know.  The bleaching is amazing to see in person though. It's soooooooo much brighter than the other coral and it nearly looks like it is glowing. That was on a cloudy, overcast day as well. 

Level 10

Hi @GillianC,

Amazing, you all no fear to swim with sharks nearly, but I never can to do that because I very affraid.

Great experience.

Level 5

Nice text though but really is this got to do with maps 

NO!

However someone might view this when the may easily suffer problems like heart attack and if they see that they might die and that is not a joke this is inappropriate 

DP
Level 7

@Thanos2Doggo wrote:

Nice text though but really is this got to do with maps 

NO!

However someone might view this when the may easily suffer problems like heart attack and if they see that they might die and that is not a joke this is inappropriate 

Hi @Thanos2Doggo

Like all activities in life, any adventures such as this should only be taken if you're physically fit, able and wanting to do it. This article simply aims to show another side of nature, rather than the fear mongering about sharks that we often see in the media. As for maps - sure it's related! It shows a few different locations around Australia where you can choose to have a shark encounter, if, and only if, you wish to do it. 

Cheers, Gill 

Level 9

Great article @GillianC this is a fantastic summary. After people have done a dive with whalesharks please come and visit us in the #pilbara region. Sone beautiful national parks and culture to explore! I'm in Port Hedland

Level 8

Betreff: Where to swim with sharks in Australia - on purpose!

hi there

i was at the ningaloo reef in the west of australia. that was amazing. 

we did it at this station

https://goo.gl/maps/M2WoAiUDRHy

have fun! 🙂

Level 1

wow I'm terrified

Level 8

Great article! Thank you for sharing 🙂