YadairaMorales's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 5

What to do in New Orleans??

Hello!!! I will be traveling to New Orleans with my fellow local guide and husband January 25th to January 28th. This is a completely last minute trip and will also be our first time in New Orleans. We will be tagging along our 1 year old son. Any suggestions on what we should check out? Any must eat dishes? We want to play like the locals do! Thanks for the suggestions in advanced!!!

New Orleans, LA, United States
3 comments
Level 5

Re: What to do in New Orleans??

Starting on the downtown side of Bourbon Street, walk the length of Bourbon Street to Lafitte's and get a drink at the oldest bar in the US, at that make your way toward Frenchman Street. Just wander around there and you'll be hanging with the locals.

Level 5

Must-eat drinks/foods:

• Alligator meat
  • Jambalaya
  • Gumbo
  • Hero sandwich
  • Hurricane (alcoholic beverage)
  • Beignets (visit Cafe du Monde in the French Quarter for the best!)
  • Pralines

Awesome places to visit/things to do:

• the Cathedral
  • the Square (in front of the Cathedral in the French Quarter)
  • Cafe du Monde
  • the Aquarium
  • Bourbon Street (the area closest to the Square is more tame than further down!)
  • Mardi Gras museum
  • Horse & carriage ride
  • Getting your palm ready or having your picture drawn by an artist in the Square
  • Eating all that wonderful New Orleans food!
  • Going on a ghost or historical houses tour

Check out Groupon or Living Social for cheaper rates on the tours & restaurants. There are also activities right outside of New Orleans that are worth mentioning, including the NASA Space Museum in Mississippi (about a 45 minute drive from NOLA), swamp boat tours, & having dinner overlooking the Bayou in Slidell (30 mins from NOLA). Lake Pontratrain is another beautiful area to check out the sunset; you can get some SWEET photos!

Level 5
Level 5

First thing I would do in my city, is keep the one year old from Bourbon street, no child should be exposed to the sights, sounds, or smell.  I want to know what is your reason for visiting so I can build a decent itinerary.  Do you know where you are staying yet? We have two Mardi Gras parade on the 27th, but it's not kid friendly.  Places to eat, I know plenty but it's better to have some sense of your palate before I start spewing off places to eat you might not enjoy.  I can tell you where to stay away from, but not publicly on this forum we can converse privately for that info.  But a good place to start is with a few of my 360 images.

NOMA   The Joint   New York Pizza   Fiorella's Bistro & Wine Bar   Congo Square  

All so this is our Tricentennial year, so we are having a year long party with many and plenty events around the city.  If there is anything else I can do just hit me up.