WaweruM's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Re: What should I absolutely not do when visiting the USA?

@MalarikThank you for the information, it will definitely help a lot of people here on connect

Level 9

Aloha to all visitors,

There are numerous issues that relate to local customs, laws, and such that it is hard to generalize...so I

will explain why there are & some examples:

Why?  In the USA, there are different rules & laws that can & do vary from area to area.  Much of the more 

general topics are based on Federal laws vs. State law.  The can & do conflict, as in Marijuana rules /laws.

Since Federal Law which regards MJ as illegal, this overrides State Law.  So even if someone claims that

MJ is legal for either medical purposes or recreation in any particular area, they do not understand

that Federal law supersedes this.  Federal law, or other local laws, may or may not be enforced, but you

do not want to be that "exception" to a rule....especially now.  

Now, if you go further, there are rules & laws that extend all the way down to one's local housing

association.  For example, my small 13 unit housing association prohibits short term vacation rentals,

thus preventing us from renting a unit to a vacationer for a few days or weeks.  While the owner 

would be in error, there would be little to prevent the "eviction" of a vacationer.  Illegal rentals are

also a problem in areas that have numerous foreclosures.  If the police are notified by the bank

who owns the house, the people inside are asked to leave immediately, no matter if they paid

the "rent" to someone [who did it illegally].

In states like California, you have different laws/customs for home associations, community

groups, towns, cities, & counties.  In most CA counties, most plastic bags [except Biodegradable

ones are prohibited from being sold], while there is a charge of about 10 cents or more for

paper or some plastic.  So most people buy reusable bags.  This is an effort to save marine

life, cut down on pollution, and is politically correct.  So, while you may get a biodegradable

paper box for your take out/ or doggy bag as you have left overs from a restaurant as you

travel.  You may want to pick up some good recyclable bags for all kinds of reasons.  What

ever you do, do not liter.  There are fines that range up to many hundreds of dollars for this...

especially on the freeway.

In areas where there are endangered species present, like on many California beaches, there

are serious laws that protect these creatures.  There are some beaches near me that can fine

you thousands of dollars or even give you jail time, if you somehow trespass or disturb the

bird's habitat.  So pay close attention to all signs, especially now with the gov shutdown.

There are many creatures that have hundreds of feet clearance [e.g. Seals] as provided by 

local laws.

While almost all beaches ban the use of vehicles on the beach, there is a local beach

{Grover Beach} which allows one to drive vehicles on the beach, under certain rules.

That beach also allows some controlled bonfires.  This is subject to change since one

of the local communities is against this, since it increases air pollution and can coat 

their homes with dirt.

As you travel, in most situations, it is illegal to be in a public park or beach after dark,

drink alcohol, litter, dig holes, or even remove/ disturb sand or sea-life.  Please read 

all available signs & follow them.  It is not OK, for your kids to take a tide-pool starfish

& put it into a bucket to play with...for example.  Even if you see lots of Americans

breaking the law, that does not make it OK.

As someone else noted, there are ever more laws that limit the use of drones, fishing,

and other activities.

While gives tips in restaurants & some other venues, is more of a custom & not a law. 

there are exceptions to this.  Most restaurants will now post a recommended tip

at the end of the bill.  That is only a recommendation & should be confused with

a rule or law.  There are some places which do have a rule in that place for a required

tip of certain amount for certain sized groups.  In general, tips are higher amounts

are given for superior service...but most people will leave 15%.  10% or less means

that you were unhappy with the service & 20% or more, means that you are pleased.

You can always check with the manager before you get service to see what the rules

are.  As you may tell on the internet, there are people who may dispute a charge or

bill....such as "corkage fee" or "required group tip"...especially for inept service.

Please remember that many in the US's service industry get a good amount from

the tips & need them to even have a living wage.

As far as tipping others are concerned, please be aware that for certain areas

or people, tipping is either prohibited or even illegal.  Do not offer tips nor

money to most, if not all government or law enforcement workers.  Do not even

offer a donation to a police charity to a police officer.  These mostly will be

considered bribery & not welcomed. Tipping is also not welcome at

many fast food places & will be posted as such.

While you may feel empathy toward those who panhandle, it is

an illegal activity & is also prohibited.  You are generally free to donate

to your preferred charity via the internet.

As you can tell, I could go on & on....but it is a complex topic.

Thanks,

Paul:)

Level 10

@MalarikThank you for the infomation, am sure it will help a lot of people who are planning to visit the US.

Level 10

Good and relevant @LucioV

BHASI BAHULEYAN
Level 10

Hi @LucioV

The most interesting was 

• NEVER enter a private property; this is a serious issue in USA, also when you see a field without any border or sign, owner could use fire arms against you, it's a Constitutional right
BHASI BAHULEYAN
Level 10

Looks like USA is a very strict country, in Africa most of those laws don't apply

Level 10

Actually, as a principle, it's not entirely true. And if you put it the way it was worded in this answer,

it's not true at all. Would be too long to explain but most importantly it depends on the actual state law.

For example, in Texas, California, and Florida it's closer to strongly protect private property.

In most of the other states the use of firearm is much more strongly regulated.

So the bottom line is: NO, you can't kill someone just because (s)he entered into a private property.