WaweruM's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

What is the common means of transport in your country

Hello Local Guides

What is the common means of transport in your country?

In my country Kenya we have many forms of  transport from Ubers, Buses, Tuktuks and Motorbikes but tha main form of transport used by almost 70% of people are the Matatus.

dailyupdates.co.kedailyupdates.co.ke

Matatus are vibrant mini-buses mostly found in the capital city of Kenya, most of the time have very loud music, complete with graffiti-style artwork, custom designs, flashy lights and onboard entertainment to pull the crowds. They are cheap, convenient and sometimes chaotic.

@Christina-NYC@Atsukot@LucioV @Josam @OSAMA  @Flash @PaulPavlinovich @NunungAfuah 

Nairobi, Kenya
34 comments

Accepted Solutions
Level 6
Solution

Re: What is the common means of transport in your country

@WaweruM I think in Nairobi we have the coolest means of transport 😎

When others call them buses, we have names like "Matt", "Mathree", "Nganya" etc.

Im proud to say that our matatus look like TRANSFORMERS!
👇🏼 We are part of a huge 'Matatu' Culture👇🏼

CvEId63WgAA8PgS.jpg161026103612-20160929-154149-super-169.jpgmaxresdefault (1).jpg13-3.jpgMATATU_MATWANA_CULTURE_KENYA_05.jpgbd81cae5c2dd01e5bd1f68c7a325efdc.jpgmaxresdefault.jpgDPIQ7uxXUAAUhPG.jpgmaxresdefault_live.jpgPhantom-Night-Mode.jpg

View solution in original post

Connect Moderator

hi @WaweruM, what a cool bus! Do you dance along in the bus? It reminds me about dance movie. Here, we commonly use regular bus. Thanks for sharing 🙂

Indonesia Local Guides
Level 10

Hello @WaweruM I love the matatus of Kenya, I had seen them in a series (Sense 😎 and then I saw them in person a year ago.
Here in Buenos Aires Argentina, we use the bus as I show you in the photo.

bondi.jpg

And there are also the tax.

tax.jpg

Other means of public transport are used, such as Uber, combis, remis.

Instagram  |  Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Web Page  |

Level 9

@WaweruM: That is such a cool looking bus! I love the graffiti! Do people sign up or get selected to do the graffiti?

Sadly here in Vancouver, many of us have cars. Not the most environmental friendly, but that is the case when the public transit isn't super efficient.

However, our metro system here is called "Skytrain" because most of it actually runs above ground, as if it is in the sky! And apparently, it is the oldest automated driveless system in the world (at least according to its website).

Please post publicly so others can benefit as well. I do not have private messages. Thanks!
Level 5

Hi @NunungAfuah

I also live in Nairobi in Kenya so I thought I could answer your question.

No passengers don't really dance along in the matatus. Most of the times people just listen to the music. Often times the music is just too loud, but we love them because that's what (matatus) we have, it's our culture and we are proud of it. You should visit the Kenyan coast - Mombasa, it's beautiful!

@WaweruMNice shot man! I would get one tomorrow for the LG community when I get to town!

@ShirleyI would love to use the skytrain someday 🙂

Level 4

@WaweruM Wow, that is colourfull bus. In my country especially Yogyakarta, Indonesia many tourist use rent car and local driver for Yogyakarta city tour to Borobudur Temple, Prambanan Temple, etc. I am tour driver in Yogyakarta Indonesia. I have link for information about Yogyakarta and local driver in Yogyakarta Indonesia www.alaricjogjakartatour.com

Level 9

Thank you for sharing. WOW!   I'm surpised.  Do people like it? 

In Panama, we have metro system, buses, cabs, uber, cabify and something called Diablo Rojos (Red Devils). Imported school buses from USA transformed into a mobil disco.

20180'517 diablo 1.jpg2018 05 17 diablo 2.png

Level 10

@NunungAfuahAbout 70% of my country's population are  below the age of 35, this type of buses attract the young generation which gives the bus owner more profit. here is a video of matatu in motion. 

Level 10

@MaxWalshHave you been to Kenya? Your mode of transport looks organized, ours is usually very chaotic.

@MaxWalsh wrote:

Hello @WaweruM I love the matatus of Kenya, I had seen them in a series (Sense 😎 and then I saw them in person a year ago.
Here in Buenos Aires Argentina, we use the bus as I show you in the photo.

bondi.jpg

And there are also the tax.

tax.jpg

Other means of public transport are used, such as Uber, combis, remis.

Level 10

@ShirleyThey usually serve in a first come first serve  basis, but the prices are usually higher than the normal buses. attracting the middle class residents. Welcome to Africa

@Shirley wrote:

@WaweruM: That is such a cool looking bus! I love the graffiti! Do people sign up or get selected to do the graffiti?

Sadly here in Vancouver, many of us have cars. Not the most environmental friendly, but that is the case when the public transit isn't super efficient.

However, our metro system here is called "Skytrain" because most of it actually runs above ground, as if it is in the sky! And apparently, it is the oldest automated driveless system in the world (at least according to its website).