WaweruM's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Re: What are some travel tips for first-time backpackers?

After seeing this thread ...i remind of my schooldays..there was a chapter in English Textbook named "Packing" (excerpt from 'Three Men in Boat' by -Jerome K. Jerome)......

Packing is the most difficult thing before heading to a trip.

Even we forgot some things..Always...)

Level 9

@WaweruM act like a local not a tourist. Each money counts. Sleep @ hotels / airbnb. You can use Couchsurfing too but it did not work to me. 

@WaweruM Mimi nililala Tulia Backpackers nilvyokuja Mombasa 2016.

Former Google Contributor

Hi @WaweruM,

Great topic and discussion! Here is my short advice for packing and the backpack itself. 

Do not bring stuff that you know you are not going to need, that are not critical for your travel goals or the chance that you will need them is very low. The best thing to do is double shortlist right before the packing. This will make your backpack lighter. 

I know it from my father who is very experienced in mountain hiking and very efficient when it comes to packing.

Enjoy travelling,

Marin  

Level 10

@AnonymousHow could we have forgotten a DSLR

Level 10

@HeyJoeThanks for the tips, Where in mombasa did you sleep?

@J wrote:

@WaweruM@ act like a local not a tourist. Each money counts. Sleep @ hotels / airbnb. You can use Couchsurfing too but it did not work to me. 

@WaweruM Mimi nililala Tulia Backpackers nilvyokuja Mombasa 2016.

Level 10

@MarinStThe trick is to carry as less as you can

Level 6

Hayatta kalabilmenin yollarını bilerek ilerlemek

Level 9

@WaweruM at Nyali, Mombasa. There is a backpackers / hostel called TULIA.  

Former Google Contributor

Thanks for this topic @WaweruM!

I usually go backpacking both in urban areas and in the nature/mountains. For me one of the most important things is to consider how much water you will need for your trip. Especially if you're planning a journey during the summer. Another thing, if you like hitch-hiking, it's also essential to prepare food and a water/wind-proof jacket. You never know where you'll end up spending the night and what would the weather conditions be.

I hope this helps someone!

See you all around,

Nadya

Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Level 2

Dont take as many clothes as you think you will need. We always use less than we take. I made a one week travel with only one pair of clothes and wash one of them every night. The good about it is that i carried only a little backpack