WaweruM's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

Re: What are some travel tips for first-time backpackers?

Hi

@WaweruM

As i would advise to use the following before travel .

1.  Offline Map - Download the area you would like to visit . Google trip is an option where in it will show the important places in that locality This will enable you to use the map and other informations like contact no and direction even if you are offline .
  2. Google Photos - Free up the mobile to take lot of photos . you will be able to use the free wifi at Airports and Railway stations .there was a good option of Google photos which was removed recently that was synchronize only when we keep the phone on charge .SO that each day or when ever we feel the phone is full just click on Free up space in Google photos . you are done . don't back up or keep the Whats app photos and video to Google Photos .I learned so many options from connect from @LucioV he have used photos to explain his tour with photos,  text , locations and more. this will be a wonderful travelogue.
  3.    Use My Map Study the place you are going to travel .save the places with stars or labels .you can use this off line also .Screen Shot 2018-01-26 at 01.27.25 1.png
  4. Contacts it may not be easy to write down all the important contacts but this is available on gmail you can access from a computer if you have an issue with the phone https://contacts.google.com/ If the contacts are synchronized with the gmail you can access anywhere .Screen Shot 2018-01-26 at 01.27.46.png
  5. CamScanner or Scan on Google Drive . Keep a copy of the prints handy so that it could be shared via PDF /JPG when it is needed . For a driver reference  you can share the booking details etc .
  6. Power banks are not allowed in Flights check in luggage .
  7.  Take a screenshot of the timeline and this will help you recollect the places you have visited . 
  8. Install Google Translate app - it is a wonderful app which reads a Foreign language ,convert to your language .Speaks , translates and just flip the phone to show a local person there language .   It allows a local person speak to it and you can get it translated to your language .
  9. Look for Taxi icon on Map this shows the comparison of taxi rates and you can make a better decision.
  10. HIP OFF POP service . Use public transport .
  11. Find hostels to stay .
  12. Mobile Data / Battery power is usually a problem while travelling .

A decent Backpackers Hostel in Kochi 

HAppy Camper 

Screen Shot 2018-01-26 at 01.47.38.png

Another place in my locality is Hinterland Village Resort 

Hope this is useful tip for a Backpacker Too 

any thing more about this will be answered by Kerala Local Guide Ambassidor @StephenAbraham

Regards 

Varghese Jose

https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/badges/userbadgespage/user-id/21203/page/1#
Level 7

Good question @WaweruM. And I have learnt couple of things just reading through comments.  Also love the idea of using hostel instead of a private apartment or hotel suggested by @GeorgesHR, but can you please share more reason for this advise

Level 2

Great advice. A good place is not so easy to find as it seems at first. Experienced travelers already know that you can not get what you expected, so I recommend that you have several options just in case.

Level 3

I'd say always take a suncream and some water with you, don't forget about appropriate clothes and a map of wherever you are going. Also bring a big smile and positive attitude with you cause with that you'll be able to ask someone about the way or for help with positive outcomes

Level 8

Outstanding recommendations ✔✔ from everyone!

I cannot think of anything else to add other than stay safe, awake, and aware of your sorroundings at all times. @WaweruM Use you instincts and when in doubt don't.  Better safe than sorry 🤔

Do not carry all you cash in one place. Do not display your moneys in public.  Have small amounts ready for incidentals.

Happy trails...

Connect Moderator

Great question @WaweruM! Learned a few tips from many here on this thread.

I can tell you from personal experience never put your credit cards, passport, money in one area.  I lost my Visa credit card in Bangkok years ago.  It was a pain. Had to get a friend to wire money.  Dealing with Visa, which was my bank, was not easy or pleasant. Learned that carrying American Express is so much better and convenient.  Also keep your credit card numbers, copies of your passport separately, in case you lose your phone or passport (which I have not done either but know people who have and you don't want to experience that either).

Personally, I travel light. I also find places to do laundry ahead of time during my trip. 

Cheers,

Karen

Level 6

doğrudur @KarenVChin cüzdan ve diğer önemli ihtiyaçların kaybolması gerçekten çok zor olmakta

Level 8

Nice tips @JeslynL 👌👏 I will make sure of it onwards my next trip

Level 10

Here are my tips 

1. Carry a Water bottle for sure.

2. Fire starter kit .

3. First Aid kit.

4. MRE food .

5. Torch Light

6. Some choclates or glucose for instant energy in case of emergency.

7. Compass to guide you .

8. Map of the place you are travelling if the place has no mobile network or phone is charged out.

These can be helpful when you are on a trek . @WaweruM

Level 2

All of the things mentioned are great and necessary but I would also recommend taking bottled water, snacks and flashlights. My daughter and her husband were hiking a trail at Cedars of Lebanon and became lost. It well after dark by the time they found their way out by the lights on their cell phones. They were hungry and thirsty having started their hike right after breakfast.