WaweruM's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Re: What are some travel tips for first-time backpackers?

Hi @WaweruM, here my tips

1. bring comfortable yet strong backpack because you will walk more during your traveling. 
  2. bring only one backpack per one person
  3. don't overload your backpack, or it can cause back injury
  4. my favorite backpack is 27 litres in volume with weight no more than 7 kilograms
  5. bring raincoat for your backpack
  6. don't put your egg in one basket: wallet, money, passport, mobile phone and power bank, charger, tickets, must divided to smaller sling bag for practicality
  7. bring small but strong padlock to safe your backpack inside a locker in your hostel 😉
  8. be casual

thanks
Budiono

Level 9

wooow bro @WaweruM another wonderful post :))))

my simple tips is all travels around three points 

"this advice for low budget travelers if you have much money do the opposite :)))"

i travel both :))))

1 :keep transport as low as minimum , instead of renting a car use public transport 

2: keep staying as low as minimum compare  hotels , hostels or try Airbnb 😉

3:keep food as low as possible  , if you are in city or urban area its okay dont worry to carry bottle of water or fruits with you 

if you travel far consider water and Honey this is my favorite energy drink for me yeah i drink honey with water together 😉

don't eat too much so you will #### :)))))..... too much  😉 

P.S:

as @JeslynL said  about the importance of the First aid 

paracetamol , antacid , plasters.... disposable Razor blade you know you will take a lot of selfies 😉

take a shower when its possible and take care of your hygienic :))))))))))

this is for now hope you like my tips :)))))

@MariaBi@BudionoS @NareshDarji @Ch-Marwen  @MaxWalsh @AlejandraMaria @HelloSamsonR @TraciC ..... 

Level 10

wow  great question @WaweruM  . year 2-3 times i go to backpack tour try to pick something with me

1. paper map 

2. Compass

3. torch light 

4. knife 

5. first aid ( pain killer , and few basis need tab )

6. Dry food  and chocolate 

7.rubber slipper / shoe 

8. a big poly bag it can be rapping in rain or keep dry my bag 

9. nearest police and hospital contact no 

10. and search in internet there local life also try to understand from local people there regular life and bad side 

Given all are for rural area or urban travel  . if i travel in city area or different country    bring with me

1. Powerbank

2. universal power converter 

3. note that area  food / transport local name in note book and location 

4. Pdf book in my tab 

then i start journey 20170519_151011.jpg

Mahabub Hasan
Connect Moderator

Thanks for tagging me @TraciC. Yes I do love to travel lightly. I have a few tips, but maybe they won't be the best @WaweruM, but it can be a good start

1. Get packing cubes . They will help to organize your stuff much better and maximize space in your bag.

2. Get a bag that has a good back support. Most hiking bags falls under this. I have one from Osprey and it survived a 10 day trip in Japan 😄 In general you want to avoid roller bags if you plan to do a lot of walking.

3. Keep your cash in separate place. The idea is not to put all of your eggs in one basket. Don't bring too much cash and use traveler checks, ATM or credit card if possible (check the fees first)

4. Stay in hostels if possible. There are a few countries I won't hesitate to stay at hostels, but there are a few countries I like to avoid (just a general preference). If you're okay paying a bit more, try to find some boutique or business hotels. They are generally not that much more expensive compared to hostels, with smaller rooms (you only need a place to sleep anyway)

5. Don't bring too many shoes. Shoes and footwears take lots of spaces in your bag, and I feel it's a waste. Bring something that can survive your most demanding activity. For example if you think you'll be doing hiking, just bring a good pair of hiking shoes. For most of the time I just wear my Allbirds shoes since I don't even have to wear socks 😛

6. Get a disposable raincoat, small first aid kit, and basic drugs. I generally bring cold medicines and upset stomach medicines (since I like to eat dangerously :p)

That's all I can think for now. I'll add more if I can think any later 🙂

Edit: @BudionoS I didn't read your reply before writing mine, and realized we have similar suggestions. Great minds think alike bro 😛

Level 8

Hi @WaweruM,

I have done many 3-5 day hikes camping in national parks and places like Iceland, Alaska, and Patagonia. On such hikes, it is best to travel with a buddy to share the load. Carrying a tent and kitchen equipment like a cooking pot and a stove, freeze-dried food and water, the weight can add up quickly. 

My experience is that most of the weight can be saved on investing some money in good clothing. Clothing that is light, breathes and dries quickly. Wear clothes in layers, to adjust to temperature and try to stay dry.  In one case, I had to carry more than 20 kg (was pushing it for me) as we had to walk in all water supply for the first 3 days and food for the whole trip. When carrying a backpack in nature that weighs more than 15 kg, ALWAYS use hiking poles. It is great for balance and safety, can be a weapon against dangerous animals and takes the load off your knees when going downhill. 

It took years before I discovered that walking poles makes it so much easier/ faster and safer to walk with a backpack.

Last but not least, backpacks come in sizes or are adjustable. Make sure you get good advice how to wear it (including the hip band that takes a lot of weight off your shoulders and again is a safer way to carry your backpack. You could break your neck if falling down a slope if you are not carrying your backpack correctly. Crossing rivers, the opposite. People drown falling over with backpacks, unable to open the hip band.

I love backpacking, going back to basics and the freedom it offers. Safe travels and enjoy!

JeroenM

Level 6

Yardımın için supersin @JeslynL

Level 6

Sanada tesekkur ederim @OSAMA

Level 8

I am a backpacker by nature and as per my experience the following items are mandatory while backpacking
1. Basic First Aid Kit

2. Basic Survival Kit

3. Dressing According to Weather, Like Raincoat etc if the weather is expected to be rainy

4. A Knife

5. A match box which must be waterproof or flint  

Level 8

Hi @WaweruM,

I will find out how heavy a backpack I can carry for a given walking distance target per day.

Then I will workout the volume of the backpack required.  Add some extra for shopping as needed.

Plan carefully to minimise the weight and size of the backpack as much as possible.

Level 10

Hi @WaweruM I will advise the following:

•  Firstly where ever you are going to make sure you have all your necessary and identical information such as your passport in deep down in your pockets 

• Take with you Lite first aid kits
  • Make sure you only take cloths that are needed and necessary for the duration of your trip.
  • Wear comfortable and suitable clothing. And pack along comfortable and Lite clothes. 
  • Dependingon the country you are visiting make sure to know the weather and temperature of that region before you travel.
  • Take along comfortable shoes, such as Lite canvas etc depends on what you wear.
  • Use public transportation 
  • Make sure your trip is budgeted making sure you have planned ahead to know the price and amount of anything you would spend money on.
  • Before visiting make sure you make a research about the food, lifestyle & culture of were you are going to.
  • Carry little and Lite snacks such as biscuits in your backpack.
  • When arranging in your backpacks your cloths make sure they are folded very well and make a 3 or 4 layers depending on your size of clothes inside your backpack.
  • Don't move around late times at night, and if you need to, please be more cautious and careful.

I will add more tips if I remember what I haven't added.

P.S If you know you are traveling to a developed city or town please don't carry a knife along with you this is a serious offence in some places, make sure to make research first to know what is allowed and what is not. Only when you are going to the Jungle should you carry a knife along with you. And also register with appropriate authorities if the need be when you arrive.