E1001L's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 5

Trip to Mexico!!! =D

Hello everyone!

I want to visit Mexico on March or April 2018, but I don't really know where to stay and what to visit (I don't want to just visit the most touristy sites). I'm hoping to stay for a week or a week and a half near Cancun, but I want to visit the best places of the whole country (and preferably the beaches).

I do speak a little Spanish and I was hoping to meet some local guides there to help me out 🙂

Now, for the questions:

1. How does transportation across the country work?

2. Are basic things like food expensive?

3. Is the country secure?

4. I don't want to stay in a resort, I want to stay in an airbnb or something like that - could you recommend someone trustworthy?

4. Is there anything I should be aware of beforehand?

Thank you very much in advance for reading and helping me out! 

Elizabeth 🙂 

México
22 comments
Level 7

Re: Trip to Mexico!!! =D

Hey @E1001L I'm curious about the replies you get on this too.  I'm wondering if there is a Local Guide moderator for Cancun who could offer some insight into the b&b situation.  Have a great rest of your week. - Michael

Level 8

First. Where are you from?

1. How does transportation across the country work? You must travel on Airplane i mean flying..  Mexico Is big.. If you reach "Mexico City". 1 hour to Cancun, 1 hour to oaxaca.

in economic flys, you can take for 70-100 +/- Usd/Eur.

you can get cheap service on:

https://www.volaris.com/

2. Are basic things like food expensive? Easy to answer, if you come to Mexico you must visit for food the local places I mean not the expensive restaurants. If you can eat on public markets is the best. You can find the typicals.

In my opinion NO!, but we are in a big problem of corruption, so just try to stay on the tourists places and you will be safe. 

Always take the phone of embassy. 

1.png

4. I don't want to stay in a resort, I want to stay in an airbnb or something like that - could you recommend someone trustworthy?

I'm not sure about the airbnb service but is pretty good just try to read all reviews.

5. Is there anything I should be aware of beforehand?

Again, we are in a corrupt country, always take the phone of your embassy, and try to stay in the tourists places/zone on night, Try to use UBER, because the services of taxis sometimes are bad, they can take a long way ... so you will pay more.

If you are looking Beaches, I can say this.

1.- OAXACA

• Huatulco
  • Puerto Escondido 

All this places are very good, Huatulco for rest, and puerto escondido for party,  If you fly from Mexico City is 1 hour, if you go in car/bus it takes around 12 hours and same price.

Oaxaca is a cultural place with beautiful beaches and excellent food, in Oaxaca capital, you can reach the arqueologic zone of Monte alban. But beaches are far in car, many mountains.

2.- Guerrero,

• Acapulco
  • Ixtapa

Personally I would avoid this place, as it is a bit dangerous, and the beaches are far from each other.

3.- Cancun (Riviera Maya), you can get packages for 4 days ~  around 500 Usd fly + hotel 3 stars, the most expensive places due to the arqueologic zone of Mayas. 

the arqueologic zone you can get for 150 USD.

4.- Cabo San lucas Baja california.

Very good Beaches .

you can get estimated prices on 
https://www.despegar.com.mx/

If you come to the city of Mexico I can go for you and your companions to the airport and show you some places.

Level 8

1. How does transportation across the country work?

Try to use the plane for long routes, for the geography of the country, and security, is your best option, sometimes for price.
Example Mexico> Cancun by airplane you do 1 hour, and the cost is 70 ~ 100 Usd, if you use buses are 24 hours and the cost is the same.

sshot-1.png

2. Are basic things like food expensive?

If you consume on beaches, tourist areas, I mean luxurious restaurants, etc. Yes that is expensive.
If you go to the markets or popular areas "in the daytime" you can find meals from 40-80 Pesos ~ 2 ~ 4 -USD

Unfortunately we live in a period of insecurity and violence in much of the country, if you stay in tourist areas you will not have much problem, in fact you will notice for example Cancun, the difference between the tourist area and the common area of the town

I have never used airbnb service, however friends have used it and were based on the opinions and ratings of the application.

5 Is there anything I should be aware of beforehand?

I dont feel comfortable saying this, but Mexico is a corrupt country. Always have your "embassy" emergency telephone numbers ready.

Try to use services like uber, not taxis, in case there is no uber service in that area, look for food somewhere and talk to people, regularly they protect or support you as a visitor and you are consuming.
An example, when I go to market in the dangerous street, and I have doubts of the streets, I always buy a soda or something economic and I ask the merchants they orient me.

Try to stay on tourist places on night. 

What u most visit.

If you are looking beaches, I can say this.

• All Riviera Maya Cancun~
  • Huatulco > Puerto Escondido in the state of OAXACA and intermediate beaches. "Are relatively close 1-2 hours by road using buses, I am from the state of Oaxaca and it is one of the states with more culture, and with an excellent gastronomy, its beaches are of the best of the country, it even has areas of protection in support of the turtles.
  • The state of Guerrero has 2 places very recognized as far as beaches: acapulco is a well known port, personally I do not like it and the other is ixtapa zihuatanejo, but they are far from each other around 4-5 hours on bus,  and the state of Guerrero goes through a bad moment talking of security.
  • Puerto Vallarta It is a very nice and quiet place, the area is nice.
  • Cabo San Lucas: Beautiful beach north of the country, has whale shows

All of these places are located in Mexico City. If you use airplanes, it is better, prices range from 70 ~ 120 USD, using economic airlines, flight time is 1 -3 hours.

If you decide to use Buses the costs can even increase, since they are long trips.

What more you are looking? Arqueologic Places? Culture?. 

I have been living aruond 14 years on Mexico City, I can tell you some close and good places. And If you use the capital (MEXICO CITY) as an "anchor point" since it is in the center of the country, I can go for you to the airport and show you some places, as well as give you some tips.

Saludos.

Comunidad CDMX

Quedada Ruta Cultural CDMX Centro historico

Level 5

That's a very good question! I'm looking forward to know about that too 🙂

Level 8

2 months ago, I was on Acapulco for work, and I saw a extrange thing.......

Promotions on beers in the 4-5 stars hotels and bar/antros  3x2 (you drink 3 and pay 2) snacks free, no cover etc. I think the zone is seeing how the people is going to another places and they want to recover the earning from turism.

Level 5

Thank you so very much for all the useful tips you've given me!

I live in Portugal and I've lived here pretty much all my life, but I'm from Venezuela. Actually, I should've started with that, because that way you could compare it to Mexico and give me a more detailed view on security (as you may know Venezuela is a wreck now, unfortunately).

If I have more questions, I'll definitely ask you, since you've been so helpful! =D

And if you have questions about Portugal and/or Venezuela I'll answer them if you'd like 😉

Thanks!

Elizabeth

Level 5

You're totally right about those promotions! I believe they are meant to attract people back to the expensive hotels, since they've been trying out local cheaper spots...

Level 8

Yeah, but always look the places. If you see the state is "dangerous" and you want go there, just stay in the tourist zone, and you will be safe.

Level 5

Absolutely! Thanks for the tips 😉